Another 1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
good looks dont always indicate a good tool.

didnt you just win that kimber? How many rounds do you have through it?
How does it shoot? Its accuracy?
Id rely on a $300 llama if I knew it went bang before I call a new gun the bees knees..

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I went shopping today and looked and held and played with a ton of 1911s and my personal favorite is the Springfield, however the price is not my favorite. Since this search was for a CCW candidate, I cannot stomach the idea of possibly losing my 1911 due to having to use it in a self defense situation. So I did purchase what I think is an excellent choice. A Kahr CW45. Size and fit in my hand are perfect. Thanks for the input from everyone. Surjimmy you bet we'll get to the range sometime soon.

Jeff

The more a 1911 costs, the more likely it will run 100%. That's up to a point and not a guarantee, just a general observation.

Your Kahr should do you just fine. Wring it out really well, before you consider it (or any other pistol) ready for carry.

The cost of your carry gun will be a very minor part of your cash outlay in a self defense situation. Spend enough to get a pistol that you'll actually carry and will run 100% for you.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good looks dont always indicate a good tool.

didnt you just win that kimber? How many rounds do you have through it?
How does it shoot? Its accuracy?
Id rely on a $300 llama if I knew it went bang before I call a new gun the bees knees..

Damn olyeller you always feel like busting peoples chops for no reason? I can give my opinion the same as anyone else on the forum.

What I was stating was the build quality between the two, I also stated the RIA's are good (which by the way you ripped me on that a few month back too).

So since I am not a 1911 GOD I guess I will keep my opinions to myself.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Auto Ordnance 1911 that I bought from a member on here for $400 a few years ago. So far I've put at least 1000 rounds through it and I've only had an issue with ammo once (reload that was slightly bulged didn't want to chamber properly) and on occasion the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. Otherwise it has functioned well and some of the people I've shot with have commented on it's accuracy and we surprised it was and Auto Ordnance. All that said, you more often than not do get what you pay for so unless you plan on testing the gun for a bit and determining it's reliability you should shell out a bit more for a higher quality gun.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well after contacting a member here about finding an inexpensive 1911, and after talking to a good personal friend about the same thing, I have discovered that you probably get what you pay for to a certain extent with these guns. So my question is, for a CCW is a second tier brand 1911 a good choice, or are you better off going up to the 600-800 range for the Colt, Springfield, and Remingtons? I will not mention any other brands I consider second tier because I don't beleive in brand bashing.

BTW like Surjimmy, I am becoming a 1911 fanatic. LOL.

Jeff

I guess it's a matter of perspective, because I consider the Colt, etc. you listed to BE second tier guns. Top tier would be Dan Wesson and on up through Springfield Custom Shop, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, etc. Third tier would be your Taurus, RIA, etc.

I've relied on Springers and Colts and I currently carry a S&W 1911PD with complete confidence. I've owned two Kimbers and neither was reliable enough for me to trust my life to, yet a Star .40S&W was completely serviceable at less than half the cost. As olyeller described, reliability is more than what's rolled on the slide. You need to do your research, know the potential pitfalls of any brand before laying down the cash, shoot it enough to understand it's strengths and weaknesses, and be prepared to either fix any issues or not be so emotionally invested in it that you can't cut your losses if necessary.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Damn olyeller you always feel like busting peoples chops for no reason? I can give my opinion the same as anyone else on the forum.

What I was stating was the build quality between the two, I also stated the RIA's are good (which by the way you ripped me on that a few month back too).

So since I am not a 1911 GOD I guess I will keep my opinions to myself.

Honestly, I dont remember the ria rip, and I swear that I have no reason or intent to counter your post that are malicious; honest.

But what is build quality? Its not a property discerned by casually looking over a gun, and seeing how many visible machining flaws there are, or how it feels in your hand. (although its part of it, certainly).
I spend an hour maybe with new guns, bare pistol components, using calipers and instruments, gauge pins, and dial indicators, seeing if anythings out of the ordinary, (ie out of spec). If it is, it could be a virtual death sentence, a terminal illness, that can be predicted to within a 1k rounds or so of failure.

Im a scientist at heart, and I think that all opinions are bullsh#$; I want data, I want hard facts, I want things that matter. data that comes from the horses mouth, not second hand. Thats not being against you, and truthfully, I am sorry I posted here. So accept my apology, and hopefully Ill get to meet you in person and bury the internet hatchet.

Stuff people read on the internet about a gun (or anything else), are counted towards good or bad; one guy with an opinion is not equal to one guy with good first hand knowledge. Thats the whole thing about internet polls that are stupid. Would you want a poll about medical issues to be taken by 100% doctors, or bowling alley attendants?

Again, Im sorry if I offended you or called you out, just called out your words, like Id have done if it were anyone elses, and read it.
I happen to be satisfied with kimbers guns; theyre nice, and they arent as overpriced as some people on the web will tell you (because they went to a special 1911 forum and read some tactical 1911 guru/marketer's verbal diarrhea). Rock islands too, are great entry 1911s.

Last edited:

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, I dont remember the ria rip, and I swear that I have no reason or intent to counter your post that are malicious; honest.

But what is build quality? Its not a property discerned by casually looking over a gun, and seeing how many visible machining flaws there are, or how it feels in your hand. (although its part of it, certainly).
I spend an hour maybe with new guns, bare pistol components, using calipers and instruments, gauge pins, and dial indicators, seeing if anythings out of the ordinary, (ie out of spec). If it is, it could be a virtual death sentence, a terminal illness, that can be predicted to within a 1k rounds or so of failure.

Im a scientist at heart, and I think that all opinions are bullsh#$; I want data, I want hard facts, I want things that matter. data that comes from the horses mouth, not second hand. Thats not being against you, and truthfully, I am sorry I posted here. So accept my apology, and hopefully Ill get to meet you in person and bury the internet hatchet.

Stuff people read on the internet about a gun (or anything else), are counted towards good or bad; one guy with an opinion is not equal to one guy with good first hand knowledge. Thats the whole thing about internet polls that are stupid. Would you want a poll about medical issues to be taken by 100% doctors, or bowling alley attendants?

Again, Im sorry if I offended you or called you out, just called out your words, like Id have done if it were anyone elses, and read it.
I happen to be satisfied with kimbers guns; theyre nice, and they arent as overpriced as some people on the web will tell you (because they went to a special 1911 forum and read some tactical 1911 guru/marketer's verbal diarrhea). Rock islands too, are great entry 1911s.

No worries. Thanks for the clarification it's much appreciated.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I went shopping today and looked and held and played with a ton of 1911s and my personal favorite is the Springfield, however the price is not my favorite. Since this search was for a CCW candidate, I cannot stomach the idea of possibly losing my 1911 due to having to use it in a self defense situation. So I did purchase what I think is an excellent choice. A Kahr CW45. Size and fit in my hand are perfect. Thanks for the input from everyone. Surjimmy you bet we'll get to the range sometime soon.

Jeff

I could stomach the seizure of a quality 1911 after a good shoot better than being shot in the stomach after a cheap 1911 did not function properly!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom