Another 1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being new to the 1911 world, I first purchased a RIA officers 9MM, shot about 1K rounds through it, trained the wife and 13yr old daughter on etc. Then i broke down and bought a Ruger sr 1911 that I have had for maybe 2.5 weeks now, in that time, ive ran 700 rounds of 230 hard ball ( remington/blazer/armscor and even a brick of wolf). 100 rounds of critical defense and 100 rounds of d-tap, ALL WITH ZERO FAILURES. I took the pistol out of the box, function checked it, cleaned/lubed. I thinkt he best advice I have ever read for a carry piece is, find one you like and dont mess with it. maybe change the grips to your liking desire etc. but the age old wisdom of the more you mess with something the more you HAVE to mess with something comes to mind.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a few 1911's over there years and shot the crap out of several of them. But by far the best I ever had was a crapper old Llama. Seriously. That dog would just flat out shoot. And I never had a failure with it. So for ever top tier one in a million that poops out, I suspect there might just be one of the crappy brand that shoots/functions like a high end one. Like most of the advice do your homework and when you finally get one shoot the heck out of it so you know it well.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it's a matter of perspective, because I consider the Colt, etc. you listed to BE second tier guns. Top tier would be Dan Wesson and on up through Springfield Custom Shop, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, etc. Third tier would be your Taurus, RIA, etc.

I've relied on Springers and Colts and I currently carry a S&W 1911PD with complete confidence. I've owned two Kimbers and neither was reliable enough for me to trust my life to, yet a Star .40S&W was completely serviceable at less than half the cost. As olyeller described, reliability is more than what's rolled on the slide. You need to do your research, know the potential pitfalls of any brand before laying down the cash, shoot it enough to understand it's strengths and weaknesses, and be prepared to either fix any issues or not be so emotionally invested in it that you can't cut your losses if necessary.

Yep. I'll stand by my original ranking of the weapons and the tier I put them in. I personally believe the Wessons and such are more of a specialty gun than a true 1911. There is no utilitarian use due to the high cost IMHO. Colts and Springfields are awesome guns out of the box. Another way to think of it is Harley Davidson is a top tier motorcycle. Just because you can get a fully customized Harley built exactly the way you want, but that doesn't take the Harley by itself off the top tier and place it at the second tier.

Jeff

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a Norinco copy years ago and I tell you what that thing would flat shoot it all day and tear out a nice silver dollar size group. Had a Daly Bul M-5 that was smooth to shoot but had its moments. But you are the marksman with the gun. The 1911 needs to be guided in your hands, like Da Vinci's brush so to speak. Each one will function different for all of us. I will say one of the guys that I see at the range weekly picked up one of them Rugers and let me run a mag thru her. Those guys in Prescott did a real nice job on that one. 7 shots just under 2 inches at 10 yards off hand beautiful trigger definitely on my get one list. I just picked up a CW 45 a few days ago and I have a couple tips for you if you want to hear them on that one PM me and I'll share.

Latest posts

Top Bottom