Another "Harmless" Balloon Over The US Headed East

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because it presents a danger to aircraft in the area, we don't know what or who it belongs to and it's in our airspace. Besides, they throw millions of dollars away on a near daily basis in DC. It has no business flying over our country.
It being a danger to aircraft is wildly overrated; it was flying near the top of the commercial aviation altitudes, and it's not like it was hiding. If it had posed an actual threat to aviation, I'm sure they would've done something about it. As for not knowing "what or who it belongs to," the fact that they didn't publicize its ownership doesn't meant that it's not known.

And "we should be dumb with money because they're already being dumb with money" isn't much of an argument.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The latest update.

Early discovery of the balloon prompted concern from lawmakers. U.S. Senator Jon Tester and U.S. Representative Matt Rosendale, both of Montana, said that their offices were closely monitoring the situation. Additionally, Utah Governor Spencer Cox office has been in communication with local military officials.

On Friday, NORAD sent fighter pilots up to investigate the balloon. Pilots concluded that the balloon is small, “not maneuverable,” and is not a threat to national or aerospace security, according to spokesman John Cornelio.

An official with the Defense Department said in a statement, “NORAD will continue to track and monitor the balloon. The FAA also determined the balloon posed no hazard to flight safety. NORAD remains in close coordination with the FAA to ensure flight safety.”

Despite reassurance from NORAD and the FAA, Americans continue to be on high alert after last year’s event and reports of increased balloon activity from China over Taiwan. Concerns are growing that China’s potential use of balloons for spying on a global scale.

As of Saturday, officials have no intention of bringing down the balloon currently over the U.S. Instead, they will continue to track and monitor.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It being a danger to aircraft is wildly overrated; it was flying near the top of the commercial aviation altitudes, and it's not like it was hiding. If it had posed an actual threat to aviation, I'm sure they would've done something about it. As for not knowing "what or who it belongs to," the fact that they didn't publicize its ownership doesn't meant that it's not known.

And "we should be dumb with money because they're already being dumb with money" isn't much of an argument.
Then by all means, let it float across the continental United States if it isn't doing any harm at present.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When they flew the jet for visual inspection of the balloon, I expect they observed that there were no dropable items (dumb bombs).

The solar panels show it needs a significant amount of energy, presumably for computer processing power. It's collecting data, or possibly SENDING data.

But I'm still confused about it being called a hobbiest balloon. Did someone actually step up and claim this?
Or is this just the .gov way to minimize the panic, and under-play a China spy balloon?

Personal hobby, or China rig?
I'm still unsure.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they flew the jet for visual inspection of the balloon, I expect they observed that there were no dropable items (dumb bombs).

The solar panels show it needs a significant amount of energy, presumably for computer processing power. It's collecting data, or possibly SENDING data.

But I'm still confused about it being called a hobbiest balloon. Did someone actually step up and claim this?
Or is this just the .gov way to minimize the panic, and under-play a China spy balloon?

Personal hobby, or China rig?
I'm still unsure.
Thoughts?
I wouldn't trust this government to tell me it's raining with the eye of a hurricane approaching.

Latest posts

Top Bottom