Another quake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation.

I'm not against fracking but I'm kind of bothered about earthquakes that possibly don't need to be happening (if there were adequate options on the table), since these earthquakes if big enough could mess up my home.

I'm also not going to take on a NIMBY stance and say that fracking should happen elsewhere. It seems a good chunk of OK's economy is based on supporting fracking ops and that's fine.

Someone can be 100% behind something, and at the same time advocate that maybe there's a better way to do parts of it that are less destructive overall.
Fair statement.
Only thing I would say add is, I don’t think Oklahoma is in much real support of the frac’ing ops but definitely is in great support of Oil and Gas production in the state.
Unfortunately, without hydraulic fracturing, there is currently no other technology that can get most Oklahoma wells to produce in economic quantities. Continued frac’ing of new wells must take place if Oklahoma expects to even maintain its current oil/gas production.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, without hydraulic fracturing, there is currently no other technology that can get most Oklahoma wells to produce in economic quantities. Continued frac’ing of new wells must take place if Oklahoma expects to even maintain its current oil/gas production.

Oil has always a cyclical business, boom or bust, partially (mostly) due to the technology in obtaining oil.

When production drops, wells are shut down. New technology eventually gets developed to extract profitable amounts from those low / slow production wells.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because fracking is a relatively recent phenomenon, so there’s no data back beyond the past 50 years or so. But if you look at oil production in OK, you can see a roughly similar situation in this graph:

View attachment 450481

Basically, the number of earthquakes about magnitude of 3.5 to 4 doubled in the years starting around 2009, with year-to-year frequencies going up as well (red bars). The black stars indicate quakes with a magnitude of 4 or greater; there are three such from the late 1800s to about 1960, and a cluster starting around 2009. The graph doesn’t show the 1997 earthquake in Pontotoc County with a magnitude of 4.5, though. It also doesn’t show well that since 2011, there have been at least 16 quakes with a magnitude of 4.5 or greater, compared to four quakes from about 1880 to 1997.
Oh, the ole hocky stick graph.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you explain it away though, without sounding dismissive?
Same as this.

R (3).jpeg

Made to sell an agenda.

Liberal playbooks tend to repeat themselves.

Your graph... tell me which institution it came from.

Ill give you a hint. It starts with S...ends with D. And is in Cali

Another small hint.

Here is one of the authors of your data.

citations.jpeg

And I'm accused of bias. Lol

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same as this.

View attachment 450487

Made to sell an agenda.

Liberal playbooks tend to repeat themselves.

Your graph... tell me which institution it came from.

Ill give you a hint. It starts with S...ends with D. And is in Cali

Another small hint.

Here is one of the authors of your data.

View attachment 450490

And I'm accused of bias. Lol

Then provide data that refutes these results. Dismissing the data as liberal with no data of your own isn’t how it’s done. Again, please refrain from sounding dismissive, it only looks bad for yourself 😕

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then provide data that refutes these results. Dismissing the data as liberal with no data of your own isn’t how it’s done. Again, please refrain from sounding dismissive, it only looks bad for yourself 😕
Oklahoma has had earthquakes forever and has multiple faults which have been active since before even the Indians showed up to kill all the buffalo, let alone all those evil oil drilling Europeans.

No fancy graphs needed. It is just Fact.

You need to get less biased sources other than Earth Firsters talking about OG issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom