Any airline pilots in here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron Driver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the BS in Aviation Sciences from OSU, and many of my friends are now at various regional airlines and a lucky few have made the jump to majors. PM me if you have some questions, and I'll tell you all about why I decided to jump ship and go to lawschool.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in '73 I had just earned my Commercial ticket. Long story short: If I were you, I'd give cargo haulers (FEDEX, UPS, et cetera) very serious consideration - NO PASSENGERS!!!

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired from airline flying in Dec '07. I was with AA for 21 yrs, flew most of our fleet, from the 727 to the MD11, retired off the Super 80.
I'd be happy to help ya if I can.

Question about AA, if you might indulge me. This year I had the opportunity to display a T-38 at Oshkosh AirVenture, right on AeroShell Square where all the big pedestrian traffic is.

Standing in front of a jet in a flight suit allows you to talk to all sorts of people, including tons of airline pilots. As I'm considering a jump to the airlines after my military career is over, I conducted a straw poll of all the airline pilots I talked to during the week, asking the simple question, "would you recommend I apply at your airline?".

The results were very telling -- there was not one single AA pilot who recommended I apply to AA. In fact, their reaction to the question was particularly negative, and always punctuated by a follow-on diatribe about what kind of a company it is and how they treat their people. There were no other airlines which had this uniform dislike from their employees like this.

What is the story here? I understand AA has had labor infighting issues with the TWA acquisition a decade ago, but is there more to it?

Sorry to bring airline issues to a shooting board, but perhaps the change of venue would enable a different kind of conversation. Thanks!

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My background - flight instruction, Navy carrier pilot, regional airline pilot, corporate pilot.
If you are just in it for the bucks - the big freight haulers are the way to go.
If your ego needs massaged and you are willing to wait to make some money - the major airlines are the way to go - the regionals are a good stepping stone to the majors.
If you are more interested in flying to the extremes - military.
If you are satisfied with a decent living and want challenges that breed a lot of job satisfaction - try corporate.
Feel free to pm me if you want a further explanation.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The results were very telling -- there was not one single AA pilot who recommended I apply to AA. In fact, their reaction to the question was particularly negative, and always punctuated by a follow-on diatribe about what kind of a company it is and how they treat their people. There were no other airlines which had this uniform dislike from their employees like this.

What is the story here? I understand AA has had labor infighting issues with the TWA acquisition a decade ago, but is there more to it?

The company was well favored for many years, but I think the major problems started when we took massive pay cuts after 9/11, but the muckety mucks got to keep their bonuses. That left a very bad taste in our mouths.

The company is very good at dragging their feet in negotiations and thus keeping pay at a low rate. PM me and I would be happy to talk with you on the phone for more info.

Perhaps my best comment would be that if my grandkids wanted to be airline pilots, I'd not encourage them. I wouldn't discourage them either, just would not have enthusiasm for the career field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom