Any Colt Single Action Army (1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen) Love Around Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll start.

This 1898 Colt SAA left the factory on February 04, 1898 destined for Chicago. At some point in time modifications were made to this SAA, which is certainly not uncommon. It retained its 4 3/4” barrel but was changed to .38 W.C.F. (38-40) instead of the .41 Colt it left the factory with.

At some point long after then someone purchased it and decided to have it completely restored (except for caliber). The purchaser chose Dave Lanara Colts which was an outstanding choice. Dave’s 30+ years of work on 1st Generation Colts exclusively is among the very best. His use of NDT, x-ray, and extensive knowledge of the model gives the customer peace of mind when completed. The service is not cheap and wait times can approach two years.

LogoLicious_2024.09.20-09.03.29.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.20-09.04.00.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.20-09.05.35.jpeg

LogoLicious_2024.09.20-09.05.07.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.20-09.04.37.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.20-09.02.51.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.23-16.24.33.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.23-16.25.14.jpeg
LogoLicious_2024.09.23-16.23.13.jpeg

So, after going through NDT, authentication, and refinishing (including period correct CCH) the revolver is reassembled. In this instance a new .38 W.CF. barrel was installed with period correct roll marks.

All numbers matched, the 791 under the trigger guard and on the loading gate are correct. Dave’s “mark”, the stylized L (circled in red on the loading gate) ensures the work was performed by Dave (one man shop).

All Colt purists look down on restorations. Fact is, most of the original ones have been hacked up to one degree or another. To attain a SAA such as this one…but original…would be astronomical.

So here is the final view of it after purchasing it.

LogoLicious_2024.09.26-04.16.31.jpeg

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned three 1st and three 2nd Gen SAAs, sold the last one this past spring, only remaining centerfire single action my 1976 Blackhawk convertible bought new. I adore the Colts, but thickening knuckles from a lifetime of hard work slowly but surely ate up clearance between middle knuckle and trigger guard, while the Ruger design has more room there, so it stays. With both the Colts and Rugers owned, have taken many a deer and hog, all in .45 Colt, a classic round and classic guns, even the Ruger design now about as old as the Colt design was when the 2nd Gen was made. The Colt is about as trim a gun in that chambering as can be made.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Colt Archive letter for the above SAA…View attachment 517549
That is a lovely restoration, and you speak truth as to few remaining today in original shape as the guns were used for their purpose and repaired/rebuilt as required with various levels of proficiency. I am sad for folk today who can no longer find nice ones at affordable prices, where they formerly were more common, as were surplus 1911s for a fast $25 at a gunshow...but the SAA was never cheap, going rate pretty much an ounce of gold in whatever era.
On that pretty one, you should maybe consider Rowan who trained under Roy Fishpaw...

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
LogoLicious_2024.07.25-18.19.28.jpeg

This one has a story to tell, although the cylinder remains unturned, and not fired since the factory.

This is a 1974 2nd Gen, 5 1/2” barrel in .44 Spl. It has a non-removable cylinder bushing. It was at the VERY tail end of 1974 S/N wise. The Colt S/N lookup indicates that it’s a 1975. That simply cannot be as no SAA’s were produced during 1975 due to retooling of the line. It shipped in April, 1976.

Two well known Colt experts have examined this SAA and both surmised that it has a 1974 barrel and frame. It has a 3rd Gen cylinder, hand, and hammer.

The revolver was purchased from the George Gamble Estate Collection (Bradenton, FL) who was a renowned Colt collector. It still retains the Colt gun grease in the loading gate.

It’s estimated that perhaps less than twenty ever left the factory in this configuration. I feel fortunate to own it.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you are into these iconic revolvers. I’ve looked around and didn’t see much. Perhaps I missed it. 🤔
The first firearm I ever shot was a Colt SAA in .45 Long. Back when there weren't as many people "collecting" them, and there were more in "well used" condition. I think maybe dad spent $10-15 on it. I was 4. Got knocked on my butt, and loved it! By the time I was a pre-teen, it was gone.

I've never been able to afford to buy one. Nor even one of the modern copies. Though part of that may be me being a cheap bastrich. :blush:

Most I've ever spent on a handgun was about $400. Maybe one day...

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you are into these iconic revolvers. I’ve looked around and didn’t see much. Perhaps I missed it. 🤔
I have a couple older colts, I have a colt SAA from 1964 in .45LC it's a Nevada State Commemorative. (Unfired) and Also Colt's first go at Double action Model 1877 (Lightning) in .38lc this example fires perfectly and is dated 1879. I know this is not a single action but has the coolness never the less. I love the honest wear on the Lightnings grip panels.

Attachments

• SAA.jpeg
    SAA.jpeg
    174.7 KB
  • thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    77.2 KB
Last edited:

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first firearm I ever shot was a Colt SAA in .45 Long. Back when there weren't as many people "collecting" them, and there were more in "well used" condition. I think maybe dad spent $10-15 on it. I was 4. Got knocked on my butt, and loved it! By the time I was a pre-teen, it was gone.

I've never been able to afford to buy one. Nor even one of the modern copies. Though part of that may be me being a cheap bastrich. :blush:

Most I've ever spent on a handgun was about $400. Maybe one day...
You just waited too long to pay that $400. As John Taffin has often remarked, you cannot pay too much for a gun, but you can pay too soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom