Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG, those are GREAT ages ... They still love you then! :wink2: Lurker you have been dethroned, my man ... I got kids to play with now! You and GC are on your own ...

They are the light of Bonna and Papa's eyes. Here is the youngest....

i514.photobucket.com_albums_t346_gillman7_AddieBuckethead.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awwwwww ... Gillman ... Thank goodness she doesn't look like her Papa!! What a beautiful baby!!

Actually, all compasses are not the same. I'll get a link for a good one.

OK ... thanks! I like shopping but only when I know what I'm shopping for ... Certain things I know about (none of them postable here ;) ) but compasses are outta my "comfort zone" ... :lookaroun WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!??!

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Below is a link to Silva Trekker 420. It is a great place to start. It is all I use and I've had opportunity to purchase some really fancy ones at a deep discount.

http://store.silvacompass.com/products/345160/Trekker_420

They are around $25 plus tax. Silva makes a smaller, compact model, but they are hard to hold and sight through properly, especially with gloves on. Don't be lured into getting a compass/flashlight/pin on your shirt model, either. Compasses and metal do not play well with each other. Any compass that has metal in the housing or possibly a pin is a bad idea. Same goes for the ones that are on the base of knives. They can tell you which way North is, but you can forget precise navigation with one. An error as small as 2 degrees will screw you up over any significant distance. Also, the Silva models are adjustable if they get out of whack. I recommend buying one in person so that you can inspect it. Make sure there are no bubbles in the fluid. It happens. Also, fresnel compasses are more difficult to use than a baseplate/sighting model. I know they look cool, but the dials aren't as precise, unless you get a really pricy model.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked my wife about going last night and she said go and have fun... I asked her about coming too and she said no. LoL!

Don't feel bad, mine could care less about anything remotely considered camping or prepping. She says that she is leaving all that to me and will just do what I tell her in a situation of necessity. Yeah, right! I believe that... At least she can shoot. She really doesn't like to do it, but is capable... And a pretty good aim, too.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are apparently two Silva companies the US Silva does make not make a quality compas. I recently watched a utube review and it was stated that another company took the Silva name in the US and they are not the same as the Silva company overseas. The guy siad that US Silva compasses can get air bubbles at altitude making them unusable. However, if you will not be on a mountain or at higher altitudes it will be ok. I am looking for one of the orginal GI compasses wich cost round $80.00.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are apparently two Silva companies the US Silva does make not make a quality compas. I recently watched a utube review and it was stated that another company took the Silva name in the US and they are not the same as the Silva company overseas. The guy siad that US Silva compasses can get air bubbles at altitude making them unusable. However, if you will not be on a mountain or at higher altitudes it will be ok. I am looking for one of the orginal GI compasses wich cost round $80.00.

The GI compasses are well built, but hard for a newcomer to use. They have a steeper learning curve due to the layout of the dial. That being said, if you are comfortable with them and can use one proficiently, by all means. They are made to last. Most folks aren't willing to spend the time in the field with one to gain the needed skill set.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Below is a link to Silva Trekker 420. It is a great place to start. It is all I use and I've had opportunity to purchase some really fancy ones at a deep discount.

http://store.silvacompass.com/products/345160/Trekker_420

They are around $25 plus tax. Silva makes a smaller, compact model, but they are hard to hold and sight through properly, especially with gloves on. Don't be lured into getting a compass/flashlight/pin on your shirt model, either. Compasses and metal do not play well with each other. Any compass that has metal in the housing or possibly a pin is a bad idea. Same goes for the ones that are on the base of knives. They can tell you which way North is, but you can forget precise navigation with one. An error as small as 2 degrees will screw you up over any significant distance. Also, the Silva models are adjustable if they get out of whack. I recommend buying one in person so that you can inspect it. Make sure there are no bubbles in the fluid. It happens. Also, fresnel compasses are more difficult to use than a baseplate/sighting model. I know they look cool, but the dials aren't as precise, unless you get a really pricy model.

:P Ohhhhhh, OK, THANKS!

Latest posts

Top Bottom