Any jeep guys? Clutch question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys into jeeps? I have a 95 YJ that's starting to lose the clutch. Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if I want to do the clutch myself or hire it out. Looking for a good shop or someone who does good work for a fair price.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hard to replace the clutch on a YJ. However that all changes when one of the nuts welded in the frame breaks loose while trying to remove the belly skid. bleeding the clutch(unless for some odd reason yours is no longer hydraulic) is a two man job. A third helps to give useless advise while drinking a cold beverage from the cooler. A transmission jack is handy to have or a good full sized floor jack. belly skid isn't light. the transmission jack is a life saver getting the transmission back into place.

I've had Bluementhal's replace a clutch before. not bad but I'm sure I could have found cheaper. If you don't mind unexpected headaches and have the tools and mechanical know how to work around the issues that arise go for it. Get a Chilton or Haynes manual at your local parts store. Life saver for torque specs and misc notes on procedures.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, Google, Youtube, and some of the various Jeep forums are your friend for step-by-step instructions and preparations (I've got a JK so I stay mostly on those forums).

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mechanical ability is no problem. I just really don't want to run into a snag anywhere and be down for more than a weekend. She is my daily driver. The wife is out of town for about 4 days though so if I start now I should have a good window. I have a quote for $500 and I'm thinking after parts, time, any rentals etc that may be a great deal.

Tough call. I used to mess with scouts and a broken bolt or rusted part could add another week of down time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom