Any RC advice???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And a power source. If you're running off-road you may be away from an outlet. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Most of the battery chargers run on 12V so hooking them up to your (big) car to charge your (little) car is pretty straightforward.

Most any charger will get a new hobbyist going. I use several cheap-o chargers for my electric planes. They all seem to do an okay job. 4 batteries will keep my flying as long as I want to. I would assume it would be about the same for RC cars.

First buggy I ever had was called a Grasshopper. I was just a tyke but was hooked.

As a kid my first car was an RC-10 - the original gold panned version with the big wiper-on-a-resistor for a speed controller. Used NiCad batteries. I remember being able to charge that thing in 15 minutes, run for 3 minutes and then do it all over again. That was back before electronic speed controllers, wireless motors - and "RC/RC" still had an indoor track over by H&H (before H&H was there come to think of it). Man those were the days.

They had an awesome little carpet track for road cars that was a lot of fun, but they couldn't keep the carpet clean (it was next to the dirt track) so they could never attract sanctioned carpet track events. Spent may an hour (and dollar) in there. I can remember with the Dominator came out. First 4 wheel drive dirt track car. It truly did dominate. They had to make a whole new class just for it. I actually one ONE race there as a kid. I can remember hearing the announcer say my name, pause and then say "Who the heck is THAT?" - apparently I didn't know what the good-ol-boys club was.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the battery chargers run on 12V so hooking them up to your (big) car to charge your (little) car is pretty straightforward.

Most any charger will get a new hobbyist going. I use several cheap-o chargers for my electric planes. They all seem to do an okay job. 4 batteries will keep my flying as long as I want to. I would assume it would be about the same for RC cars.

First buggy I ever had was called a Grasshopper. I was just a tyke but was hooked.

As a kid my first car was an RC-10 - the original gold panned version with the big wiper-on-a-resistor for a speed controller. Used NiCad batteries. I remember being able to charge that thing in 15 minutes, run for 3 minutes and then do it all over again. That was back before electronic speed controllers, wireless motors - and "RC/RC" still had an indoor track over by H&H (before H&H was there come to think of it). Man those were the days.

They had an awesome little carpet track for road cars that was a lot of fun, but they couldn't keep the carpet clean (it was next to the dirt track) so they could never attract sanctioned carpet track events. Spent may an hour (and dollar) in there. I can remember with the Dominator came out. First 4 wheel drive dirt track car. It truly did dominate. They had to make a whole new class just for it. I actually one ONE race there as a kid. I can remember hearing the announcer say my name, pause and then say "Who the heck is THAT?" - apparently I didn't know what the good-ol-boys club was.

my first rc car was a little dukes of hazard general lee circa 1986 my second one was a nikko super lobo in 1988 and that dude would rip the vinyl floor up in the kitchen, it is still my favorite out of all of the ones that I have owned and I found one a few weeks ago on ebay but I just wont spend 140.00 on a old used toy car.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everybody, I think she's decided on the $99 Ruckus. Sounds like the dollars made the decision for her. Hopefully he'll like that one.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever choice is made should be forewarned about replacement parts. Things WILL break! which is really cool because of the replacement parts available! Titanium, aluminium, carbon fiber.. Fun hobby, tends to cost money like any other though

Latest posts

Top Bottom