Anybody get anything cool that is gun-related today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gringobandito

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found this today!!

IMG_2646.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a few things while running around the pawn shop circuit today.

View attachment 177267

Firearms:
Never fired Ruger Wrangler, 1976 Glenfield(Marlin) model 60.

Ammo:
3 bricks of 22lr, 2 boxes of 38 Special, 4 boxes of .223 and a box of 9mm.

Most of it was at non-inflated prices.

You, my friend, done good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This summer I was able to find a .303 British Martini Sporting rifle. I looked several years for one of these with no luck. The one I got was like most .303 Martini's, shot out. I will have to have the barrel relined before I can hunt with it.

About 6 weeks ago I saw another .303 on FB. I made inquiries and entered into negotiations and finally got the gun Wednesday. This one is a .303 and has Metford rifling. Sold by W. Rawbone circa 1890's. For smokeless powder, but made before the Birmingham Proof did Nitro proofing.

www.fototime.com_A2C59205189037F_medium800.jpg

www.fototime.com_4F21CC068C8930F_medium800.jpg

www.fototime.com_6C078CBEBCE3EEC_medium800.jpg

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This summer I was able to find a .303 British Martini Sporting rifle. I looked several years for one of these with no luck. The one I got was like most .303 Martini's, shot out. I will have to have the barrel relined before I can hunt with it.

About 6 weeks ago I saw another .303 on FB. I made inquiries and entered into negotiations and finally got the gun Wednesday. This one is a .303 and has Metford rifling. Sold by W. Rawbone circa 1890's. For smokeless powder, but made before the Birmingham Proof did Nitro proofing.

www.fototime.com_A2C59205189037F_medium800.jpg

www.fototime.com_4F21CC068C8930F_medium800.jpg

www.fototime.com_6C078CBEBCE3EEC_medium800.jpg

Impressive find, I think you won cool gun find of the week...

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Garrett, it is a pretty cool gun. Loaded with history also. Sold by W. Rawbone in Cape Town during the golden age of Safari's 1890's. Rawbone outfitted many of the famous Explorers and safari's of the period. They were appointed gunmakers to the Duke of Edinburgh.

This gun itself is from very early in the development of the .303 cartridge.

The British developed the .303 from the Swiss Rubin cartridge for use with smokeless powder for their new Lee Enfield (Long Lee Enfield). The first LE's had Metford rifling. The British learned that the cordite powder they used eroded the Metford rifle very quickly and fix was needed. As an interim measure Britain loaded the .303 with black powder. They changed the rifling to what was called Enfield rifling, which looks like modern lands and groove rifling. The Metford rifling was a carry over from late developments in trying to control fouling in black powder.

This rifle has Metford rifling-an early polygonal rifling. Because of the erosive effects of cordite it is hard to find early .303 with a good bore and especially hard to find one with Metford rifling. This one looks pretty good. I will find out tomorrow on the range.

Rifleite was a smokeless powder that did not contain nitroglycerine and was made from 1890 to about 1900. This was the era of development of smokeless powder. Riflelite worked fine in 70 degree England and blew guns up in 100 degree weather in India.

While I enjoy getting a new gun every once in awhile-I do like my Glocks-Guns like this old gun speak to me. They have a history. Those of us who collect these old guns often, say "if only this gun could talk." This one is screaming!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I overslept this morning so I decided to run a few errands before I went to work,,,
I mean if I'm going to be late anyways why not productively burn a few hours of leave time.

Popped into Wally World to pick up a few hardware items,,,
Stopped by the ammo counter and got lucky.

Two 550 round bulk packs of Federal HV,,,
Eight 50 round boxes of CCI SV.

I really didn't need this ammo but since it was there,,,
I had it sold to friends before I left the parking lot.

And yes I gouged them by rounding the cost up to the next dollar,,,
$23.36 each for the bulk packs became $24.00 each,,,
$31.26 for the eight boxes of CCI became $32.00.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom