Anybody get anything cool that is gun-related today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite! I love how they always seem to throw 1 or 2 more in.

My Bergara in 65 would print Sub 3/4 MOA with Hornady brass, but after switching to fire formed Lapua, it will do a .332" 5 shot @100 off a bag and no wind.
Yep. I'm changing my process up a little bit and looking for an expander mandrel right now. Once thats found, I'll get to prepping this new brass, uniform-ing the necks with that mandrel, and will get some loaded. The only thing better then brand new brass, is fire formed brass!

I currently use a Redding bushing die to FL size and set neck tension, but since this is unfired brass, I want to get an expander to do that job for me for these first loads. Is there another route that might be easier?

It might be less hassle to just load these up, get them fire formed, and then I can keep with my bushing die I suppose. I may be overcomplicating it, trying to set neck tension on these initial loads.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I'm changing my process up a little bit and looking for an expander mandrel right now. Once thats found, I'll get to prepping this new brass, uniform-ing the necks with that mandrel, and will get some loaded. The only thing better then brand new brass, is fire formed brass!

I currently use a Redding bushing die to FL size and set neck tension, but since this is unfired brass, I want to get an expander to do that job for me for these first loads. Is there another route that might be easier?

I've ways full length sized new brass, fire formed it, sized the neck using a Hornady neck die without touching the shoulder. Then used a Forester die to bump the shoulders back .003". That makes everything feed without any issues. I load to mag length in my bolt guns. I can get better accuracy loading .020" off jam, but they won't run in my mags and I hate single feeding

Honestly, I've never deviated from this in years and had really good luck.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've ways full length sized new brass, fire formed it, sized the neck using a Hornady neck die without touching the shoulder. Then used a Forester die to bump the shoulders back .003". That makes everything feed without any issues. I load to mag length in my bolt guns. I can get better accuracy loading .020" off jam, but they won't run in my mags and I hate single feeding

Honestly, I've never deviated from this in years and had really good luck.
I know what you mean regarding loading to mag length. The best load I found using SMK 150's was loaded at .015 from the lands, but that is too long with those ridiculously long bullets to fit in my magazines. I've stuck with them for a while, but recently did a little testing at shorter OAL's (all with Hornady brass). I'm going to try these Lapuas, and will hopefully find something that'll fit in my magazines with those projectiles. My rifle just shoots so much better with those heavy SMK's than anything else I've tested.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean regarding loading to mag length. The best load I found using SMK 150's was loaded at .015 from the lands, but that is too long with those ridiculously long bullets to fit in my magazines. I've stuck with them for a while, but recently did a little testing at shorter OAL's (all with Hornady brass). I'm going to try these Lapuas, and will hopefully find something that'll fit in my magazines with those projectiles. My rifle just shoots so much better with those heavy SMK's than anything else I've tested.

When I moved to a Berger 140 grain VLD Target, my groups shrank like crazy over the 140 SMK. Don't get me wrong, I love the SMK, but these VLD's are crazy good.

Current load is a 140 VLD Target jumping .057" to jam which is 2.273" base to O-give. Mag length is 2.223", but I found my node at 2.216" base to O-give or around 2.875" COAL. 40.9 grains of H4350 just seems to shine in my 22". Prints SD's under 7.

That gives me around 2700 FPS with zero pressure signs and no heavy bolt lift.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I moved to a Berger 140 grain VLD Target, my groups shrank like crazy over the 140 SMK. Don't get me wrong, I love the SMK, but these VLD's are crazy good.

Current load is a 140 VLD Target jumping .057" to jam which is 2.273" base to O-give. Mag length is 2.223", but I found my node at 2.216" base to O-give or around 2.875" COAL. 40.9 grains of H4350 just seems to shine in my 22". Prints SD's under 7.

That gives me around 2700 FPS with zero pressure signs and no heavy bolt lift.
That's one of the few I haven't tried yet - the Berger VLD's.

What twist rate do you have in your barrel?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's one of the few I haven't tried yet - the Berger VLD's.

What twist rate do you have in your barrel?
1-8. They are a tad more expensive and freaking long, but love em. I've had good luck with the 147 grain Hornady ELD-M too. It gave me better groups with Hornady brass over Lapua. That one made me scratch my head. I like it for hunting v's the VLD. Neither are superior hunting bullets though

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1-8. They are a tad more expensive and freaking long, but love em. I've had good luck with the 147 grain Hornady ELD-M too. It gave me better groups with Hornady brass over Lapua. That one made me scratch my head. I like it for hunting v's the VLD. Neither are superior hunting bullets though
Yep. I got the the trusty ole' 270 for my hunting rifle. Had it for years and years and would never consider taking anything else hunting (although admittedly it's been a bit since I've had the chance to go). This rifle and these loads are purely for target shooting. Those Bergers are expensive. I thought my SMK's were high, haha! I see that they make those 140 VLD targets, as well as some 144 and 153.5 long range hybrid targets. I shoot out of a 26" 1:7 barrel, and 140gr is about as light as I think should possibly go. If I can find some of your 140's, or the 144 and 153.5 hybrids, I'll pick up a box and give them a shot. Thanks for the info.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I got the the trusty ole' 270 for my hunting rifle. Had it for years and years and would never consider taking anything else hunting (although admittedly it's been a bit since I've had the chance to go). This rifle and these loads are purely for target shooting. Those Bergers are expensive. I thought my SMK's were high, haha! I see that they make those 140 VLD targets, as well as some 144 and 153.5 long range hybrid targets. I shoot out of a 26" 1:7 barrel, and 140gr is about as light as I think should possibly go. If I can find some of your 140's, or the 144 and 153.5 hybrids, I'll pick up a box and give them a shot. Thanks for the info.
Of course.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ohh it's been a great day. We went to catoosa today with some friends. Went to the JM davis museum, blue whale, hit some antique malls, atwood's, and finally a night of cards at their place. At the antique mall found this beauty and had to have it.

IMG_20210313_145826.jpg

I love Kukris, and now I have a hand made one. My buddy got gifted a ticket to front sight academy in april and wasn't sure what to take with him. We hit up ba and coweta atwood's hunting for ammo to no avail. But my buddy saw a 5.25 XDM in 9mm held it for 3 seconds and decided he had to have it for the course. Well not to be outdone I called my wife and begged her to let me buy a hellcat package they had at a nice price. She said "fine" which I know means no, but she didn't say no so this came home with me tonight also.

IMG_20210313_221120.jpg

Then come to find out they did have a small stash of ammo for gun sales. We were only allowed 1 box each, but it was almost worth buying the whole gun just to get a speck of 9MM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom