Anybody here use Starlink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I took my dish down and unplugged/unhooked everything a couple days ago with intention of sending the whole mess back and starting over, but I decided to give it one more try a few minutes ago. For whatever reason, it stayed connected long enough this time to get a software update downloaded and seems to be working better now than before. I’m not holding my breath, but I hope that all it was. :scratch:

I guess I’ll keep the $140 cable just in case.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To my understanding - there is the Hardware:
1) The Standard sized antenna, or mini sized antenna. (Both includes a router)

2) Then there is the service plan:
Residential plan (for stationary locations),
or the Roam plan (for mobile locations - like for rv's).

The sale is for the larger (standard) antenna. Then you have to choose the right data/service plan. (I.e. choose Roam for RVs)

We're planning on the Standard sized antenna, with the Roam service plan.
Correct me if I'm mistaken.
When we started, I started with selecting roam and then went with the plan for it. I don't know if the hardware for roam is different than what it is for the home units.
We got the system started on July 3. We wanted it for two months. On the way home at the end of August, we got emails or texts, (I don't' remember) saying our service would end on September 3. At exactly 5 pm on September 3 the service quit while we were watching a program.
Wife saw something that said the roam was going up to $165 a month vs the $150 we paid, but sometimes that in certain locations. It doesn't matter, we will log back on when it's time to get back on the road.
In 8 years on the road, we have gone from Sat dishes, WiFi boosters, Cell Boosters, and finally Starlink which is the final answer to keep us connected as we do all of our banking, etc online.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wonder if it just had a hiccup during an update?
All I can figure out is that it must’ve needed the update and for whatever reason couldn’t/wouldn’t stay online long enough to do it, but I have no clue why it all changed yesterday afternoon.
According to speed tests, I’m now getting the fastest service I’ve ever had. :anyone:

I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth and am just happy we’re up and running again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom