Anybody know how to trap a beaver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been with a guy that trapped some using a conibear trap. Its a killing trap, and anyone using that trap has to go through a training session, and be certified by the ODW? I'm not so sure about who does the certification, but don't get caught without it.
Its a dangerous trap for the one setting it as well as the targeted animal.
If it trips on your arm while setting it, the arm is broken and there is no way in hell you can release the trap without a special tool. More than likely, you will loose the arm caught in the trap as it will cut off all circulation.
This is the reason for the certification..

For steel traps, a beaver/coon caught in shallow water will sometimes chew off their own foot if caught, so a drowning set is commonly used. The trapper has to string a small cable from above the hole, to a deep part of the creek/pond. It only allows the animal to go in one direction, which is deeper. finally its too deep.
Very effective but very work intensive when setting several of them.

Most of the time if its in a pond or creek and you know where the den is located, get some good camo or a pop up blind and set up on the edge before dark. Right at dark a scout will come out to make a circle of the pond, or down the creek aways. Then the rest will come out.
You may think you only have one or two, but I'm betting you have more than that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can look for slides or castor mounds. From what I read the castor mounds are very effictive with some castor scent.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have been reading up on it a bit.

I haven't tried that yet either, but understand the beaver are real territorial, and the young ones are kicked out to find a new home. Moving up the creek, they have sign poles that other beaver mark their territory with?
Like I said, I don't know for sure.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am connibear certified and have caught quite a few beaver. If you want to use a leg hold, you should use a drown set. Get the biggest trap you can because a big beavers back foot will smother a small trap and when the trap closes it just pushes his foot off of it. Google "MB 750 Trap" and they are the best you can get for beaver foot holds. Take an old log and lay it half in the water and half out. Get some beaver lure or a castor gland from a beaver and push up some leaves and mud in a pile next to the upwind side of the log just out of the water. Rub a stick in the lure and lay it on top of the small mound. The idea is to have the scent drift down the side of the log and make the beaver come up on that side. Set a your trap just far enough away from the log to make it not hit the log when it springs...try to imagine a beaver swimming up right next to the log. Set just deep enough to cover the trap and set the trap firmly so it doesn't rock. Whey he gets in it, he should struggle to deep water and drown before you get there. You need to rig your trap chain short so he can't reach the surface and set the bottom of your drown slide in 3-4 ft of water. I like to use a long rebar with a T welded on top and a washer welded about 1 1/2 ft off the bottom of the rod to stake the bottom of my drown wire so I don't have to reach so deep to pull it up when I am done. Good luck and happy trapping.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info guys. I'll do a little more research, but so far it sounds like because of my lack of trapping knowledge and experience, I should just try to shoot them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom