Anybody know how to trap a beaver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to use #4 buckshot in a 12 ga. Never use a .22 lr. Not enough gun. You should see a fat old guy running backward and reloading a single shot .22 while being charged, albeit somewhat slowly, by a wounded male beaver that I estimated to weigh over 50 pounds. Later, the female died from one well placed shot to the head at about 40 yards. The male shrugged off a much closer shot to the same spot on his head.

After that, I went to the #4 buck. One shot, one dead critter. After dark, a boat and a bright light work well. They will often swim right alongside you. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After dark, a boat and a bright light work well. They will often swim right alongside you. CB

The time to shoot a beaver, is right at dark. A scout beaver will come out in the pond, and make a circle. When he gets back, the others will come out. It may be too dark to shoot legally when they all get out, so shoot the scout, and keep after them.
In a creek, I don't know what they will do. Never had to go there yet.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The time to shoot a beaver, is right at dark. A scout beaver will come out in the pond, and make a circle. When he gets back, the others will come out. It may be too dark to shoot legally when they all get out, so shoot the scout, and keep after them.
In a creek, I don't know what they will do. Never had to go there yet.

If they have a dam, partly break it, causing a leak maybe six inches deep. They'll detect it, and regardless of the time, somebody will come to fix it. I usually sat on a bucket above the breeched dam with a 12 ga. Easy kill. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they have a dam, partly break it, causing a leak maybe six inches deep. They'll detect it, and regardless of the time, somebody will come to fix it. I usually sat on a bucket above the breeched dam with a 12 ga. Easy kill. CB

My area, I have a low water slough that only holds water when its wet.
The beaver put up a dam in the narrow part, so I busted it with the tractor, and tried that.
come to find out the den is 1/4 mile away. Walked the slough with waders and couldn't ever find the den until driving past it on a county road.
I have his skull on my bench. I have a new one in this year. Saw a cottonwood down the other day, and found the old den is now the new den.
I'd like to take the conibear class and get certified, so I can get him without me being there. My place is 45 miles from home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom