Anyone care to explain….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a Green eyed Robber Fly. They like to hang out around my tractor exhaust for some reason during the summer when it's a million degrees outside lol. Not a horse fly.

Can robber flies bite humans?

Yes. If handled roughly, robber flies (at least the larger ones) can inflict a painful bite. They practice "extraoral digestion," which means they shoot enzymes into their prey to pre-digest it by liquifying the tissues.

This is a horse fly. These sumbiches hurt!

1657501999636.png

1657502101367.png

Horseflies are about as big or bigger than a quarter.

The Robber Flys I have always considered to be a good critter because they kill houseflies and such. I let them be and they let me be. I like to watch them hunt.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Can robber flies bite humans?

Yes. If handled roughly, robber flies (at least the larger ones) can inflict a painful bite. They practice "extraoral digestion," which means they shoot enzymes into their prey to pre-digest it by liquifying the tissues.

This is a horse fly. These sumbiches hurt!

View attachment 285834

View attachment 285835
Horseflies are about as big or bigger than a quarter.

The Robber Flys I have always considered to be a good critter because they kill houseflies and such. I let them be and they let me be. I like to watch them hunt.
I've had them buzz around me for years but none have ever landed on me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had a red one pretty similar a while ago that kept landing on my tractor steering wheel while I was moving roadsides a while ago. Tried to get a pic but every time I'd stop he'd fly off.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a mobile RV repair guy out the other day and a dark, good sized critter went flying by. I didn't get a good look at it, so I can't say it is a Robber Fly. The repair guy did point out the bug and say that they were good to have around because they went after mosquitoes.

Since we have a creek going right by the RV park, I hope more of those mosquito-eaters show up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom