Anyone else tired of seeing that big-fat moon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't even go out tonight because of other stuff I had to do, but I'm really tired of seeing the near-full (or near-new I guess) moon. I've seen tracks for days around my hunting place, but until this colder weather moved in - I didn't think I had too much of a chance with the stupid super-bright moon out at night.

We'll see this weekend I guess.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well its certainly making me think more and more about dragging that bow out and actually hunting with it - I don't think I'm ready this year, but if I can get some more practice in, I may have to setup a tree-stand and try and get in close to 'em.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Newbie question here:

I get the sense from reading these boards that cold weather is better for deer hunting. Is that because the deer are more apt to try to stay warm at night, rather than grazing, so they're more likely to be out during the day to eat?

Also, same concept for the moon - if it's bright at night, they're more likely to be out at night and hunkered down during the day?

Thanks.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may not be the place to ask, but does anybody ever come down from the trees and creep around in the brush? The amount of country a guy has to hunt may preclude it, but what they used to call still hunting is a pretty good tactic if the deer aren't moving.

It's also easy to organize simple drives if you have a few buddies.

Years ago your homo sapiens wouldn't be caught dead up a tree. It was thought to be regressive. You never saw Eisenhower or Omar Bradley up a tree.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer seem to move around more in cold weather. More movement= more shooting oppurtunities.

The moon is an issue during moonlit nites deer will feed at night and bed down during the day. Less movement= less shooting oppurtunities.

Overcast nites, new moon nites means less movement at night, less movement at night means more movement during daylight hours. Refer to first part of my post.

Brian D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was deer hunting thursday,shot a fat 4pointer at daybreak! He was sneeking into some tinks 69.But while we were leaving we saw 2 mature bucks feeding at straight up noon!!!!!!! Makes a fella want to sleep in Saturday.Hopeing all the hunter activity and cold temps will get em moving.I need a doe but my dad and nephew are both buck hunting.Good luck to yall,its the last weekend so go git em!!!!!!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only have a limited amount of land to hunt on (that's private) so I've done both - moved around and climbed up in a tree to see what I could see longer-range.

I'm not about sitting in a tree-stand and waiting for them to come right underneath me (though I have nothing against those who hunt like that - especially bow hunters) and I don't put out feeders - mostly because I like the challenge of finding the deer and figuring out where they naturally are.

This Saturday, I'm probably going to be hunting all day just to see if I can track them down. I haven't had a lot of time for rifle season this year with us traveling for the Turkey holiday week and basically being away from any good hunting areas during that time.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Newbie question here:

I get the sense from reading these boards that cold weather is better for deer hunting. Is that because the deer are more apt to try to stay warm at night, rather than grazing, so they're more likely to be out during the day to eat?

Also, same concept for the moon - if it's bright at night, they're more likely to be out at night and hunkered down during the day?

Thanks.
Not really high or low pressure affect activity not temperature.Deer see fine at night they don't need a full moon.The moon phase affects their activity.What I have read is they are most active when the moon is directly overhead or directly under on the other side of the earth.I have found that hunting during the day is usually good during full moon.You can't shoot them if you are not there so none of this stuff really matters.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well its certainly making me think more and more about dragging that bow out and actually hunting with it - I don't think I'm ready this year, but if I can get some more practice in, I may have to setup a tree-stand and try and get in close to 'em.

That's the best method! Just find their routes and set-up on em! I loves me some bow-huntin!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom