Anyone ever had their property under taxed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built on some acreage that had never been developed. House was finished this year in February. I was expecting in-between 6 and 7 grand but my bill is $1096. Thanks for the feedback.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would contact them so you don't get hammered later. Our house payment went up nearly $200 this year quite unexpectedly. Upon investigation, part of it was due to insurance increases, and part was a "reassessment" of our property taxes which resulted us not having enough in the escrow for last year, so we are now paying the extra from last year and the new increase. Was a very not nice surprise.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built on some acreage that had never been developed. House was finished this year in February. I was expecting in-between 6 and 7 grand but my bill is $1096. Thanks for the feedback.
Hmmm. That's right at what mine are. Residential lot, in town (Moore), 3br, 2ba, 2cg. Unless you are in a gated community with acreage and a real large home, it doesn't sound like you are to far off to me. I mean the $1096 sounds about right.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently mine was reassessed and went down $1000, so my housepayment should theoretically drop a few buck for next year right?

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BINGO! You are only being assessed for the land value this year. If you're house is worth roughly 5 to 6 times the value of your land, then your estimation will be correct next year. You typically don't have to pay property taxes on the structure until the year where it was able to be occupied for the entire year. Enjoy it this year.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That does make sense, thank you. I bought 40 acres but cut out a little over 7 for my house to sit on. I looked closer and it appears they did just use the land value based on the numbers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That does make sense, thank you. I bought 40 acres but cut out a little over 7 for my house to sit on. I looked closer and it appears they did just use the land value based on the numbers.
Well that's just a bit different. Gonna definitely go up. But still, let them do the numbers on their own time. They won't forget, I can just about guarantee it, it's taxes we are talking about after all....

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought our house in 2009 at a $50K discount. (The guy had to sell and his company made up the difference) The other houses that sold in our neighborhood have been selling at the normal prices. The assessor has valued our house at our purchase price for the last 3 years. Lucked out. :-)

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the same thing to me when I built my house the first year. I paid $8 (on 5 acres) the first year I lived here. Lawl. Same as I'd been paying on the land for the couple of years I owned it prior to building.

Yeah, have no fear about them adjusting it next year. Shadowrider is correct; they ain't gonna overlook it or forget. That's fo damn sho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom