Anyone know how this can happen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dakota pickup was getting worked on, they got everything together & running well, then "took it for a test drive" & this happened.

I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Any ideas what could have caused this.

IMG951387~2.jpg

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thing I'd check is the oil level. Could have been a seized piston or crank bearing. If thats all good, I'd look for a dropped valve.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
T
I have seen lose a lose nut/bolt go through gear trains and cause similar damage.
+1 on the “they broke it, they own it”
This is kinda what I'm thinking. Original timing components. All metal stuff. Lasted just fine for 32 years. They did some work on the top end of the engine, but never had to get into this area. Everything still rotates, just changed oil 2 weeks prior to this.
It's a mystery

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the valves are still in place. I'll need to tell them to make sure no bent valves or pushrods.
This is a Mopar, so there is no individual valve lash adjustment.
The put new valve stem seals in, but I'm wondering if something got left under the intake & it made its way to the chain & gear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom