Anyone know how this can happen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
T
This is kinda what I'm thinking. Original timing components. All metal stuff. Lasted just fine for 32 years. They did some work on the top end of the engine, but never had to get into this area. Everything still rotates, just changed oil 2 weeks prior to this.
It's a mystery
Top end meaning intake area or heads? Looks like they left something loose or left a wrench somewhere.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone left something loose. I did a lot of repairs on 6BT engines where a very small dowel pin would sometimes fall into some massive gears and it would wreak havoc. I bet someone left something loose.

Last edited:

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What motor is it? My Durango has a 360 and I have a coolant leak that looks to be coming out of the timing chain cover. Put a new water pump on it back in the summer and now it's leaking there.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What motor is it? My Durango has a 360 and I have a coolant leak that looks to be coming out of the timing chain cover. Put a new water pump on it back in the summer and now it's leaking there.
This is a 318, 5.2L engine. 1991, so not the magnum,
I told him to check the valves, which he says are all good, he said he closed all the valves & did a compression test & it was all good. I told him I wanted him to check the pushrods too but haven't heard back on that one.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
check that steel piece of tubing,that your heater core hose attaches too, only a o ring seals it in the water pump.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fail to understand how the shop is to blame without some evidence. If they didn’t work on that area and it started up and ran long enough to test drive, I’m not seeing the connection to the cam timing gear failing. It’s a 30 year old motor that obviously has some miles on it and doesn’t appear to have been babied. Stuff works up till the minute that it doesn’t. Hopefully, there’s no damage to any other engine components and a new timing set will get it back running.

Latest posts

Top Bottom