Anyone want to chip in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of people turn good whitetail rancid when they hang it to age.
Have had it a million different ways over the last 40y, and no matter the prep, the aging or not aging or cooking style, it never holds a candle to elk, caribou or nilgai. I like whitetail, those three are much much better no matter what though. Yearling whitetail backstrap and tender loin is about as good whitetail gets, nobody at my house will turn it down when cooked, I just rarely shoot one.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we can get ammo then I bet this would be fun to shoot.

View attachment 297235

I mean, sure it'd be a 1000 gr solid from a 19" barrel. That sounds fun right?

If we can get ammo then I bet this would be fun to shoot.

View attachment 297235

I mean, sure it'd be a 1000 gr solid from a 19" barrel. That sounds fun right?
458 Winchester was all I could handle. 7mm and 30-06 have taken about every animal on the planet. Not worth dislocated shoulders or broken arms to say look at me.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like something larger than an 8mm Mauser. Had, once upon a time, a Siamese Mauser in .458 WinMag, but it couldn't hit minute of dinner plate at 50 yards. And not just in my hands, either. Had a very light-weight McGowan barrel, and I think the poor thing was just too whippy for that cartridge. Have the remains of a 7mm Spanish Mauser here that someone tried to sporterize, could maybe one day put a 9.3x57 barrel on it...

Not that I hunt anything but paper targets and soda cans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom