Appliance repair costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep Speed Queen (old style) or Maytag/Whirlpool Commercial series are equivalent to the long life units of the old days.

Also, always go with top loading washer with a real agitator if you can. Side units may use less water, but water is what actually cleans clothes.

I can always smell it when someone uses a side loading washer that they let get mildewy by closing the door between uses.
Speed Queen is what I was going to get if this didn't pan out.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish it be required that engineers spend atleast 2 yrs in the field making repairs before they develop anything and see how hard it is to make repairs on things the develop.
The tech was able to push a series of buttons on the face of the display board and retrieve the codes that it had stored. Technology! It had five codes stored, but only one that it is causing the problem. Something about a water pressure diverter sensor had gone bad. It was only shooting out of stream of water at the beginning of the all the cycles that require water.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2 year old dryer stopped heating. I had my amazon princess order a heating element rebuild kit @ 48ish bucks. And youtube has step by steps on everything. It did take me a good 2 hours and the bastages put the heating element the deepest into the unit, But it now is fine. With everything I had to remove just to get to that element. I can see why they charge a lot. It looks like a bigger job than it really is,
Just curious, what was the cost of a new hairdryer of the same model?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speed Queen is what I was going to get if this didn't pan out.
My mother-in-law had a Maytag washer and dryer combined and that thing was over 30 years old and still functioned properly. At one time Maytag was the only washer/dryer I would buy because they made the best. But those days are long gone, they're no longer the best. Probably the next best thing is what you've said, Speed Queen. I gave way a very good Maytag washer and dryer a few years ago to my son and darn if he didn't go through a divorce and leave those to his ex. Should have kept them, the Maytag washer filled with water!

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a 30+ year old Whirlpool washer and dryer set and the dryer started acting up and I figured that the washer being the same age it wouldn't be far behind so rather than repair a 30 year old unit and wait for something else to go wrong I decided to just go ahead and bite the bullet and purchase a new set and based on comments here and doing my own research Speed Queen seemed the best way to go.

With delivery, set up and hauling off the old units the new TR7 and DR7 Speed Queen washer and dryer set ran right at $2800.00 OTD back in mid Aug.......with us being in our early 70's and only washing a couple of loads a week I'm hoping this is the last washer and dryer we'll ever have to purchase.

tr7dr7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom