AR 15 safety selector issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brnm8brn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so i have had my AR for a while now and have put close to 500rds through it without any problems, until today. While at the range i was firing it, put the first clip through and then i put the rifle in safe mode, it will now not switch into fire. it is absolutely stuck in safe mode, my question is why would this happen now, and not after i built it.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pull your trigger out and check to make sure that there aren't any obstructions. I had this happen once when I blew the primer out of the back of 3 reloads, the primer jammed itself in the selector and made it so it wouldn't move at all.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great suggestion ^^^^

The lower is so easy to pull apart, just do it for good measure and check all the parts. Something is there that shouldn't be!

brnm8brn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am going to be breaking it down today to check in the lower, i pulled the safety out last night and the detent seems to go really deep into the safety switch, hopefully it is just something caught behind the trigger

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may need to de-horn your safety selector detent. I had to do that on a customer's AR the other day. It wouldn't get out of SAFE. I had to remove the safety selector and then de-horn it a bit. Be careful not to take off too much.

brnm8brn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may need to de-horn your safety selector detent. I had to do that on a customer's AR the other day. It wouldn't get out of SAFE. I had to remove the safety selector and then de-horn it a bit. Be careful not to take off too much.

i am trying this a little at a time right now with some sandpaper, what would make it all of a sudden decide to go in so deep as to completely lock up, and thank you by the way

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did de-horning the selector work? Like Dustin said, you don't have to tighten down the bolt on the screw to check it. I use a fine Arkansas stone for honing (1,000 grit).

Latest posts

Top Bottom