AR10 or M1A pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase either an AR10 or M1A in the next week or so. I've done research on both and have gotten my hands on both to test them out. Does anyone have any pros or cons from first hand experience with either of these? I don't have that much experience with either is why I ask. Thanks in advance.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Springfield M1As tend to be more reliable, have better iron sights, and better (factory) trigger. The Armalite AR-10s are more accurate, easier to put optics on, and easier to accessorize. Also they are available with a chrome lined barrel, whereas Springfield M1As are not... you have to get an older one or one from a higher-end manufacturer if you want that feature on an M-14 platform. They weigh about the same, though for the same weight the M1A has a longer barrel. Prices are pretty similar too... starting at about $1300 for either one. Mag prices are pretty close to the same, too... in fact, the Armalite uses modified M-14 mags, though they are producing dedicated mags for it as well.

It might boil down to whether you place more of a premium on accuracy or reliability, whether you mostly want to run optics or irons, or whether you are more comfortable with a traditional stock or a pistol grip.

It's a tough call... I have an M1A, but I sometimes wonder if I might be happier with an AR-10. I'm sure I will eventually own both, though right now I can't justify owning two $1,000-plus rifles for the same role.

Good luck in your decision! They are both fine rifles, and I'm sure either one will make you very happy.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool factor definitely matters haha. The AR10 would complete my AR set, but the M1A would go nicely with my M1 Garand and M1 T26

You said you have a T26, may I ask who made this particular rifle? If you already have a M1 Garand and a "T26" I would, myself, and just my old opinion, stick with the same system. The M1A. Just my old two cents, and please check the link: Thank you for your time

http://www.scott-duff.com/t26.htm

Last edited:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Springfield M1As tend to be more reliable, have better iron sights, and better (factory) trigger. The Armalite AR-10s are more accurate, easier to put optics on, and easier to accessorize. Also they are available with a chrome lined barrel, whereas Springfield M1As are not... you have to get an older one or one from a higher-end manufacturer if you want that feature on an M-14 platform. They weigh about the same, though for the same weight the M1A has a longer barrel. Prices are pretty similar too... starting at about $1300 for either one. Mag prices are pretty close to the same, too... in fact, the Armalite uses modified M-14 mags, though they are producing dedicated mags for it as well.

It might boil down to whether you place more of a premium on accuracy or reliability, whether you mostly want to run optics or irons, or whether you are more comfortable with a traditional stock or a pistol grip.

It's a tough call... I have an M1A, but I sometimes wonder if I might be happier with an AR-10. I'm sure I will eventually own both, though right now I can't justify owning two $1,000-plus rifles for the same role.

Good luck in your decision! They are both fine rifles, and I'm sure either one will make you very happy.[/QUOTE

Now, I am going to say one last thing here. I it is all up to your preference. Which platform do you prefer. I am old school, and love and prefer a reliable combat rifle if you will. That is it. Good night and good luck. AS ERM as had always said. That is Edward R. Murrow for young ones.
Lone Wolf

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are 10,s can shoot.

i1067.photobucket.com_albums_u433_djcorrell_IMAG0217.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom