Archery target back stop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking use the annoying neighbor kids. Tie 'em together so you get double thickness out of 'em.

I grew up with hay bales as a backstop and they still seem to work for me...if I get the chance to drag out the bow at all.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seldom shoot at a target anymore. I've got a big yard and just throw out a plastic water bottle and shoot judo's at it or kick a basketball across the yard and shoot bludgeon tips at that.

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a rubber horse stall mat from Tractor Supply 4ft x 6ft for around $30.00 and nailed it between two trees, it works great, and the arrows pull out pretty easy if you miss. You could build a wood, pvc or metal frame to hang it from pretty easy if you do not have the perfect trees to nail it to.

THIS is what works for little to nothing in cost. I've used the same 4 x 6 ft. horse stall mat from Tractor Supply for four years rain or shine and it still stops the occasional wayward arrow (field point and broadhead). I usually mount mine on a 4x6 x 8ft post and hang it between two trees.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003

With the cost of hay and the fact once hay gets wet it'll attract mosquitoes and whatever larvae growing in it made me finally find a different alternative.

LRP

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
white92coupe said:
Hmmm. Some good ideas to think about in here. I guess I should double check city ordinances before spending money on a backstop.

Good idea. When I lived in Ponca, a neighbor turned me in for shooting a bow in town. Officer came by, and explained to me that it was legal to shoot a bow in town, but city ordinances require your house to be the backstop. The hay bales or whatever had to be placed against the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom