Archery ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I can't seem to find a place to shoot my weapons, I'm thinking about trying out archery, somehting I can do in the back yard, any advice for a total newb at this?
I don't want to drop a whole lot of money in it, just want to shoot something!

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into a PSE set-up. They are pretty cost friendly & are a good product. I shoot a older PSE Deer Hunter I got for free. For it's age its a nice shooting bow. You can get the new PSE's in a RTS package which stand for "ready to shoot". I'd suggest goin to an archery shop or maybe even BassPro & getting your draw length figured out & see what draw weight your comfortable with. then pick you out a bow/target/arrows & go have some fun. Archery does take some time & technique to get good with so don't be discouraged if your shooting poor groups right outta the gate. Practice, practice & practice.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a PSE RTS package for the same reason. Got it at H&H; they helped me get it setup and sighted in on their range, really good service.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shooting a plain cheapy recurve is fun, but for me the real joy is in finely tuning an adjustable rest & sight on a heavy compound bow to where you can fire very precise shots.

if you end up shooting as much as me(alot), keep a lot of D-Loop string handy to preserve your bowstring.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I can't seem to find a place to shoot my weapons, I'm thinking about trying out archery, somehting I can do in the back yard, any advice for a total newb at this?
I don't want to drop a whole lot of money in it, just want to shoot something!

Gebrown - Congrats on your choice. I have been an avid bowhunter for 25 years (hard to friggin believe how time flies). To your question....there are a lot of great bows on the market today...like everything else, technology has taken archery to a new level in the past 4-5 years. THE most important aspect in choosing a bow is that it fits you. Many brands to choose from....but, I would stay away from the package deals from the big box stores. Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Bear, Prime and many others.

First thing I would do is drive down to Pats Archery, 12601 Hwy 75 Okmulgee, OK 74447,(918) 756-4632 and have someone that knows what their doing properly fit your draw length and weight. From there....it's truly whichever bow tickles your fancy. A good, new bare bow today is gonna start in the $750 range and go up from there. Once you install sights, peeps, stabilizer, rest, release and buy arrows....you could easily have upwards of $1500 in the package.

With all this said......if a guy will do his research....decided which bow he wants and knows the specs of this bow.....you can find some really good used bows. A lot of them already have all the accessories on them.

Once you have a properly fit bow....the next and most important thing is to shoot the correct arrows (spine and length-Pats Archery can also help you with this). Once again, you can pick these up used as well.

Once you've taken the above steps and if you are interested....let me know, I can help you find a good deal on a used set-up. Check out www.archery talk.com. Huge bowhunting/shooting forum with tons of info and a very expansive classifieds section.

If you go the archery route....you will absolutely love it!! If you like to hunt.....this will take you to the next level and lengthens your season (Oct. 1 - Jan. 15 for Deer). Lots of outdoor and indoor ranges/3D across the state and country.

Good luck

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Dale, I had always shot RTS bows until last year when I bought my Elite. It was night and day difference in quality and accuracy plus they have a lifetime warranty.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live in town you might want to make sure you can shoot in your backyard. Some towns consider it the same as shooting a gun. Even if you are allowed to shoot in your backyard make sure you have a very good large back stop. You would be surprised how far a bad shot can go.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live in town you might want to make sure you can shoot in your backyard. Some towns consider it the same as shooting a gun. Even if you are allowed to shoot in your backyard make sure you have a very good large back stop. You would be surprised how far a bad shot can go.

As long as your City Ordinance doesn't specifically outlaw it, you are good to go.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Dale, I had always shot RTS bows until last year when I bought my Elite. It was night and day difference in quality and accuracy plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Yep....forgot to include Elite to the list. I've almost bought an Elite when deciding on my last 2 bows. They are awesome and their warranty is the best in the industry. I like new, innovative stuff and ended up with a 12' Hoyt Carbon Element last year. Love it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom