Are you country or city folk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you...

• Living in the country?

Votes: 56 47.9%
  • Living in a city?

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Living in a small to midsized town?

Votes: 29 24.8%
  • Or you don't know where you live?

Votes: 11 9.4%

• Total voters

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in the Air Force and mentioned that I was from Oklahoma, I was called a country boy, now I spend a fair amount of time in rural Oklahoma and since my office is in OKC, I am called a city boy.

It's always interesting to hear someone tell me they live in the country and when I find that they live In a sub-division...that just ain't country (homeowners associations and all).

I don't know what I am, when I moved to my present residence, it was a dirt/gravel road, people are moving in around me, but it is still no sub-division and in no city limits...so far.

Heh. I had someone tell me rather proudly that they lived out in the country on a 2 acre ranch somewhere off 122nd and Council if I remember right (don't recall exactly except it was NWOKC).

He got offended when I asked if it was a joke.

One of the requirements when we go shopping for land for a house in the future is a nighttime showing to assess light pollution and star visibility. My wife wants to move closer to OKC, but I want less light pollution than where I currently am.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on several acres with a barn, horses, chickens and goats. My hobbies were catching snakes, catching lizards, catching horned toads, catching turtles, and riding my bicycle.

I may not have the country skills that many of you do, but I still feel like I'd be better off living out in the country again. I live in a neighborhood now, which is nice, but I miss being able to yawn and stretch without punching a hole through my neighbor's house. For my next home, I would love to build on at least 5 acres. I would love to have chickens again and a pond for fishing with my kids. I look back at my childhood and I can honestly say that I had one of the best childhoods a kid could ever hope for. I couldn't count the awesome memories in my mind. I want the same for my kids. Neighborhoods can offer some great experiences, especially with friends, but nothing compares to being able to reflect on life as you wait for a bite on the end of your line or to be able to enjoy the peace and quiet to really dig into your mind, think, and find your true self without all of the distractions of suburbia.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It might be a little longer for me. I live and work SE of town. Never go to town unless I need to do something like get some groceries. Bunch of strange folks live there. Can't handle it.

Lucky you. Between the grocery, kids ballgames, and dr/dentist appointments I rarely can stay away from altus. But they built a Academy and Target in the same lot on the west side of LawLESSton aka lawton about an hour and a little from me and I kindof look forward to going there instead of Altus.

Except that long drive, I hate long drives.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grew up outside of town (about 20 min) Nothing but dirt and gravel roads for couple miles.
I live outside of city limits right now but just I the edge. But I own land on the river 25 min outside if town and will be living on it shortly!
Country I am!!!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both.

I was born in San Diego county California while my rural Oklahoma born and raised father was there in the Marines. Split half my young life in southern Cali living in the big city with my father and the other half on a ranch in rural Oklahoma Osage county where my mom was from and where she moved back to after leaving my father. My mom is half Osage indian and she missed life on the reservation and her culture.

I moved to San Francisco after highschool graduation to go to art tech school and mortuary school. After graduating and apprencticing in tattoo shops in the bay area I sold my 2 places, a house in Sunnyvale and an apartment in the Pacific Heights section of SF that overlooked the bay, and moved up to the Sierra Nevada mountains where I had a small A-frame house built on family property- the redwood for the house even came directly from the property. Opened my first tattoo shop down in the foothills in Sonora, then later moved to a shop down in the valley where it is now in Modesto.

20 years later I still have my mountain cabin to go to to get away from it all and when I go out to check on my shop but I have lived almost the last 10 years now in Oklahoma with my Oklahoma born and bred wife in between a small town and a big town. She commutes to the city to a corporate job in an office. We have a small bit of acreage in Wagoner county that we call our 'farm', but we dont really raise anything on it, we just go out there to ride our dirt bikes, shoot, camp, etc. The wife wants a place down at Flint Creek now where her 2 buddies have places so now we're looking at a place there for a get away from it all place. I like to go to Tenkiller to jetski and camp.

Myself I love living outside of town and away from people, but the city boy is also still pretty deep in me and I love to go in to the city and enjoy city life, especially the night life, but later Im also glad I dont have to live there any more and can go back home to the country when Im thru having fun.

Last edited:

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have 2.5 acres in the county on a blacktop road, cable and city water. Neighbors are on 1.25, 2.5 or 5 or more acres. Really a rural neighborhood. I can shoot in the backyard(no neighbors directly behind me) but for the most part I don't due to too many neighbors in such close proximity. Pretty quiet for the most part and after 16 years out here I could never move back to town.

Latest posts

Top Bottom