Asked before,... but Ill ask again. (Wheelies)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmpf. Guess Ill need to get over my "previously owned gun kootie" phobia.

Seriously, I have never bought a used gun.

If it looks clean, it probably is. IOW, you probably won't have to worry about out-of-time/ out-of-round cylinder. Some of the surplus/trade-in HP guns took a few too many spills on the concrete.

generally all you need on a pre-owned pre-lock Smith is (maybe) a good cleaning and a new set of springs.(Close body carry and so-so maintenance can leave you with some corrosion on the trigger & hammer spring.)

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whitey, I LOVE my little 638 for CCW, which is the exact same gun as the 640 you're thinking about other than the fact that it has a shrouded hammer.

I also traded for a 4" S&W Model 19 in .357 last month and couldn't be happier with it. Even shot steel challenge with it last month.

Wyatt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have been both hemming, and yes,.. hawing on the purchase of a new S&W revolver. Looking for recommendations, but based on size/caliber... here is what I have picked

(J) 640
(K/L) 686
(N) 327

I know the J frame isnt going to be pleasant to shoot in a .357M, but will it really be a problem if it is CCW and really only shot to stay practiced on the gun?

Is there a better option (heavier)
that could still be ankle carried
?

The 327 is an N frame, but it doesnt look that big. Maybe Im just a lard butt and every revolver with a short barrel looks small to me, I dont know.

I would have prefered to not have an external hammer, but that appears to be a trait exclusive to the J frames, so I am removing it as a qualification.

Have you ever ankle carried? A 66 snubbie is going to be miserable (weight, flopping). A 442/642 isn't much better, and ankle is really slow... Find someone with an ankle rig, and try that prior to spending the money...

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever ankle carried? A 66 snubbie is going to be miserable (weight, flopping). A 442/642 isn't much better, and ankle is really slow... Find someone with an ankle rig, and try that prior to spending the money...

I have ankle carried several small SAs. I dont consider ankle carry for typical CCW. I do, however, desire a decent BG or a viable option for deep concealment.

I have tried most deep concealment options that involve your midsection. I dont like em. Thunderwear, all them just dont fit the bill.

Wyatt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good enough. Just wanted to make sure you try before you buy. I hate ankle, and only carry IWB, specifically tuckables now, since they came out (don't like to be "untucked"). You have tried it, and accept it as an option, excellent. Good luck. BTW, I love a 442, and I like that you know you won't be shooting it as a range gun, just as protection. I will shoot my 442 a couple cylinders, put it away, and pull out my 66, triggers are really close. 442 jars the heck outa me. I do quite occasionally carry my engraved 66. Gotta have some bling. Thinkin' 'bout gettin a gold capped tooth next...

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I recently traded for a used Smith 360PD. Great carry pistol, a real hand full and then some in 357. That is why I carry 38s in mine. Jim

Latest posts

Top Bottom