Asked before,... but Ill ask again. (Wheelies)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the choices listed, I like the 640. A J-frame shooting .357 is an attention getter but even of you always use and shoot .38s it is a nice option to be able to go hotter. I also like no exposed hammer and one less place for dirt to get into the weapon.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the choices listed, I like the 640. A J-frame shooting .357 is an attention getter but even of you always use and shoot .38s it is a nice option to be able to go hotter. I also like no exposed hammer and one less place for dirt to get into the weapon.

I would go with the 640 too.

You can always go with the speer .357 short barrel gold dot round that is about halfway in power between a .38sp and full power .357.
It's not bad at all in a light snubbie.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23917

None of these are going to be much fun to carry in an ankle holster tho for very long.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't beat a Jay-bird for convenience and an "always have" gun. K,L,N frames are great for shootin' but J's are tops for carry purposes. That 640 is a nice piece.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good enough. Just wanted to make sure you try before you buy. I hate ankle, and only carry IWB, specifically tuckables now, since they came out (don't like to be "untucked"). You have tried it, and accept it as an option, excellent. Good luck. BTW, I love a 442, and I like that you know you won't be shooting it as a range gun, just as protection. I will shoot my 442 a couple cylinders, put it away, and pull out my 66, triggers are really close. 442 jars the heck outa me. I do quite occasionally carry my engraved 66. Gotta have some bling. Thinkin' 'bout gettin a gold capped tooth next...

Want some bling? Put a gold Tyler T-Grip and a gold trigger shoe on that 442 along some imitation ivory or pearl grips from ebay and u be pimpin' it like a big dawg. (I got one; got both pimp sets of grips too; hate to have to use it in a self defense situation and have it on display for all to see!) But sometimes...I just wanna pimp my gat and what better pimp piece than a tricked out jay-bird with lots of bling on it? Now if I could just get a little cubic zirconia inset in the front sight blade; I'd be the King-Pimp-Mack-Daddy at Walmart!

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which may be the direction I go for a BUG. Just a .38S J frame.

Still wouldnt mind having a solid K frame.

Well, I'm the exception to most of the people making comments. I'm not a J frame fan. They are one of the coolest little revolvers around but I don't feel they are friendly to shoot until you get into an all steel version. I like to shoot (lots). When you get to the all steel J frames it's just about as easy to carry this and you get 20% more firepower.
[Broken External Image]
If you must have a .357 look at M13, 65, or L frames. I prefer .44 L frames (I have two) but my favorites are N frames with a 4" bbl. For me (6'3", 220) they are very easy to conceal and after totin' big guns for about 50 years they are not uncomfortable. My favorites are .45 ACP revolvers (again, I have two)

If you are talking BUG only my recommendation is what I usually use. A PM9 carries in my pocket better than a J frame and has more rounds. I never carry in an ankle holster as I'm too old and stiff to get to my ankles in less than about 10 minutes. The PM9 tucked in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck will hide under anything but bare skin. Mine is left handed as my big gun is IWB on my right side.

BTW, I don't like the look of Smith's IL either but some of my best and smoothest Smiths had it (until I removed it) No big deal but if you limit yourself to no lock Smiths you are missing out on some of their better handguns.
[Broken External Image]

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Iken. I understand being against the locks from a philosophical point of view, in a practical sense you miss out on a lot of great firearms and some times at much lower prices. Plus, removing the lock is simple and there is a guy on the S&W forum that makes plugs for the hole that look much better than the original lock.

I don't disagree at all that the lock shouldn't be there and that it needs to be removed from a carry gun, but the plug solution doesn't bother me in the slightest.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are worried about CCW options... then an aluminum J frame is the best option. don't underestimate importance of being able to drop your CCW into your pocket and go.

besides physical size... weight is always an issue... what counts is loaded weight with holster. the absolute best CCW is the one on your person. a CCW like 340PD being super light and compact makes all day CCW a breeze. you actually forget your CCW is on your person.

no-lock S&W is always your first choice... but lock version can be easily made reliable by removing lock. there's a tinny, tiny spring inside lock assembly that could fail at the worst time. so remove it.

after carrying +P in my 340PD for a year.... changed to .357
carry what ever you are comfortable with.

I have ankle carried several small SAs. I dont consider ankle carry for typical CCW. I do, however, desire a decent BG or a viable option for deep concealment.

I have tried most deep concealment options that involve your midsection. I dont like em. Thunderwear, all them just dont fit the bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom