Asked before,... but Ill ask again. (Wheelies)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have been both hemming, and yes,.. hawing on the purchase of a new S&W revolver. Looking for recommendations, but based on size/caliber... here is what I have picked

(J) 640
(K/L) 686
(N) 327

I know the J frame isnt going to be pleasant to shoot in a .357M, but will it really be a problem if it is CCW and really only shot to stay practiced on the gun?

Is there a better option (heavier) that could still be ankle carried?

The 327 is an N frame, but it doesnt look that big. Maybe Im just a lard butt and every revolver with a short barrel looks small to me, I dont know.

I would have prefered to not have an external hammer, but that appears to be a trait exclusive to the J frames, so I am removing it as a qualification.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a model 327 snubby until I saw one. I had looked at them online and didn't think it looked that big. It was bigger than I thought when I saw one. I wound up buying a 327 trr8 with 5 inch barrel. I do like the 8 shots you get. I would still like a 327 snubby but I was needed a pocket carry so I bought the 340. I practice with 38 in mine and its not awful. I usually shoot a few 357 through it but not not many.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's my very jaded opinion.

J-frame should be all steel, and prelock in .38spl, your only gaining flash and pretty hard recoil in .357, which means your gonna not want to shoot it much.

K-frame; In .357 you'll be hard pressed to find a better carry gun in say a model 65 with 3"bbl, or a model 66 with 2.5"bbl. You can move up to a 4" in either, but the round butt frame on the shorter ones are easier to conceal. Remember prelock

L-frame; Pretty much applies as stated above along with it being prelock.

N-frame; Looking for a hunting gun, night stand, or such. I still would get an all steel one. Just because those lightweights look cool, a few cylinders full on the range, may make you change your mind. Big gun, big holes, the N-frame isn't that heavy unless you get a model 28 or 27 in .357, lots more steel in that cylinder. Again Prelock.

K-frame 66-2 and a J-frame 640ND
[Broken External Image]

N-frame 624 3"
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN2099.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won't shoot a J Frame magnum much at all. I promise!

A snub nose N Frame is just a waste unless it's a .44. :naughty: They are just too big to conceal effectively. They look cool as hell though.

That leaves you with K or L frame. If you really want to conceal you want the K. It can be concealed, it will hold up to a lot of magnums and the balance and DA trigger are legendary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom