At what age do you shoot spikes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfrack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering how long you guys let your spikes go before culling them out of the herd. Will a 2-1/2 year old or older spike ever put on any rack at all?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats not true... though a lot of people think it, there has been many studies done showing that a spike can turn out to be a great deer but if its still a spike at 2.5 he probably wont be worth keeping around

Thats correct. The study qouted above was done in TX and is good for Texas, or at least the region/habitat it was conducted in.

HOWEVER, as stated other studies have shown that 1.5 yr spikes can produce "trophy" sized racks. Therefore I do not cull 1.5 year old spikes. 2.5 plus spikes do get the bullet though. I have seen and killed them before.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ever seen a 2.5 year old or older spike.

This.

Thats not true... though a lot of people think it, there has been many studies done showing that a spike can turn out to be a great deer but if its still a spike at 2.5 he probably wont be worth keeping around

And this. Our yearlings are either spikes or forkies. No telling what they may become.

I try for does and 3.5+ year old bucks (trophy bucks to me with the hunting pressure in my area) if I can. If I'm hard up with the bow or something I might shoot a dink buck. Otherwise I try really hard to let them all walk.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing 27, because I'm 28 now and this is the first year I was able to pass on a spike that presented a shot.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing 27, because I'm 28 now and this is the first year I was able to pass on a spike that presented a shot.

:clap3: that one made me read over and over thinking i have never heard of one living that old.....LMAO!!! (we all have our blonde moments :anyone:)

as for the topic--- are you able to watch the same "spike" threw out its years of growth to determine if it is the same, to tell if it progress'. i made the minor mistake one year thinking i was thinning out an odd ball, but to find out one side had 3points (main beam two off it) and the other was a tall tine....come to find out the "2" missing were busted off and it was his main beam...this has always been my problem since, do i or don't i. we have one staying around now that is about 1.5yrs and has one side that is tall and has a small split on it's ends and the other side straight up. both sides look healthy?? but just unsure if he got a busted side or if he is a retard spike....both sides are about 6" tall.....might just see how he turns out for next yr????? :anyone:

good question you got going.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom