Beans and Cornbread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was going to school, beans and cornbread was one of my staples. The Skaggs/Albertson's around the corner used to sell marked down ham. They would basically cut it up into chunks and sell it for $1 per pound. Add a few boxes of Jiffy cornbread and I swear I could eat all week on only $5.

Betcha didn't have much of a gas bill either! :lmfao:

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
........ I swear I could eat all week on only $5.

here's how ya do supper for most of a week;

sunday- make BIG pot of beans
monday- left over beans
tuesday- add hamburger etc., make chili
wednesday- left over chili
thursday- chili dogs
friday- eat chicken or some other non-gasseuos food

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guys, I'm from Georgia. My Mom, aunts, etc. are all gone, now. If there is ANYONE here who knows how to make proper cornbread, I'm begging you to teach me! I'm talking grease and a cast iron pan. Anyone?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once when I was low on funds I needed some meat to put in a pot of beans. I found a jar of redhots, like the ones you used to get in bars. I slice em up, cooked them in the beans. When it was done the hotlinks tasted just like they did when fresh out of the jar. Practically ruined the beans.

I think those darned Red hots are full of vinegar and that is what happened to your beans. They're pickled, I think, and you can't put pickled red hots in a proper pan of beans! Well, now you know. Just use hot links like over by the baloney section. Actually, I think Braums has awesome hot links. Just cut 'em up and put 'em in the pan of beans for the last hour or so; those dang pickled red hots you got back when you were dirt poor to try to do something to your sad-ass pan of beans are only good after a whole bunch of beers anyway.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm from Georgia. My Mom, aunts, etc. are all gone, now. If there is ANYONE here who knows how to make proper cornbread, I'm begging you to teach me! I'm talking grease and a cast iron pan. Anyone?

No problem. Get you some cornmeal mix, add your wet stuff, stir till slightly lumpy. Take your iron skillet, dump is some grease, melt it around the pan on a burner, and pour in your batter. Leave it on the burner on low/med while your oven finishes heating. That makes crispy bottom that won't stick. Pop in oven and bake till top is a color you like. push down the center to see if it is done. Slice, butter, and eat, or better yet, let it cool and bust it up in a glass of sweet milk or buttermilk.

Use the directions off the bag of meal mix for liquid and oven temp. If you want to go old school on the mix, use stone ground meal and some soda,salt, and buttermilk. Some use sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, bacon grease and on. Lots of ways to mix it, hard to screw up, and it depends on what part of the South on sweet or not, white or yellow meal, sweet or buttermilk and adds.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No problem. Get you some cornmeal mix, add your wet stuff, stir till slightly lumpy. Take your iron skillet, dump is some grease, melt it around the pan on a burner, and pour in your batter. Leave it on the burner on low/med while your oven finishes heating. That makes crispy bottom that won't stick. Pop in oven and bake till top is a color you like. push down the center to see if it is done. Slice, butter, and eat, or better yet, let it cool and bust it up in a glass of sweet milk or buttermilk.

Use the directions off the bag of meal mix for liquid and oven temp. If you want to go old school on the mix, use stone ground meal and some soda,salt, and buttermilk. Some use sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, bacon grease and on. Lots of ways to mix it, hard to screw up, and it depends on what part of the South on sweet or not, white or yellow meal, sweet or buttermilk and adds.

You, clearly, are the master. I bow to your superior knowledge and thank you for the happiness that's now sure to come my way!

Latest posts

Top Bottom