Po' folk food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the beans and cornbread must not just be a southern thing. That was a fairly regular Sunday afternoon meal back in the NW for us. My grandma also made this dish called “goulash”? She was a child of the depression so she made everything in a budget instinctively. But when she made that we’d all migrate over to her and grandpa’s house (same property).

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fried porch rabbit is delicious with some corn bread and local honey. Mmm mmm
I was thinking someone must have tried Honey on cornbread.
Perfect desert after the beans and cornbread.

I make my cornbread from scratch and cook it in a round cast iron skillet in the oven.

The Goulash @caliberbob speaks of is also a good dish.

I eat Okra anyway you can make it.
Even raw.. I love it raw straight from the garden.

Take sliced okra, diced onions, cornmeal and flour, salt/pepper and other seasonings if you like and make "hush puppies" from it. Deep fried of course.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking someone must have tried Honey on cornbread.
Perfect desert after the beans and cornbread.

I make my cornbread from scratch and cook it in a round cast iron skillet in the oven.

The Goulash @caliberbob speaks of is also a good dish.
Cast iron is mandatory when cooking cornbread. It also the best way to maintain the seasoning of the skillet.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the beans and cornbread must not just be a southern thing. That was a fairly regular Sunday afternoon meal back in the NW for us. My grandma also made this dish called “goulash”? She was a child of the depression so she made everything in a budget instinctively. But when she made that we’d all migrate over to her and grandpa’s house (same property).
Love Goulash

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Mom made a lot of goulash when I was a youngster. I haven't made any in a long time though. I need to remedy that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom