• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Bear Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have looked at some 10MM and I have been very impressed with what I have read and seen from the 10MM. And if I cant find a 44 that I like Ill fall back on a 10MM because I know I can find one of those but while I have some time to spare Im gonna look for a 44.
I’m a big fan of the 10mm cartridge. Tons of good options. I like my 4.5” XDm, 15+1 Rounds of 10mm gives me plenty of stopping power with an easy to carry package. I really love my Smith and Wesson 610. Really great pistol, and the ability to shoot 40S&W through it as well give me a cheaper option for training/practice. Glock offers lots of good options, even concealable options, which I find interesting.
Good luck on your search, I believe @SPDguns had some revolvers he was looking to get rid of.

There is more to the story in the introduction thread. He is Alaska bound!!
Well I’m jealous.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
700 nitro mag howdah pistol
1639544140251.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...um-25in-stainless-revolver-6-rounds/p/1142715

Springfield XDM 4.5 gives you 15 + 1 rounds of 10mm – victory through volume of fire.

1639545635147.png

Pistols have some obvious advantages over the shotgun and the rifle in terms of maneuverability, ease of shooting, and compactness, which is important when you have to carry a gun over long distances. Sure, pistols aren’t as accurate as a rifle at long range, but since a charging bear can reach speeds upward of 30 miles per hour, you might be shooting at close range sooner than you think. Especially if you train on one often, you may actually be more accurate with your favorite pistol than you are with that rifle you just bought. So, don’t count out that pistol just yet – it might be your favorite animal-defense gun.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
1639545979373.png

Springfield XDM 4.5 gives you 15 + 1 rounds of 10mm – victory through volume of fire.

Pistols have some obvious advantages over the shotgun and the rifle in terms of maneuverability, ease of shooting, and compactness, which is important when you have to carry a gun over long distances. Sure, pistols aren’t as accurate as a rifle at long range, but since a charging bear can reach speeds upward of 30 miles per hour, you might be shooting at close range sooner than you think.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You may have a problem getting someone to cut loose a 44 magnum revolver... May want to look into the 10mm autos . They do the job and are generally easier to get back on target than a 5 inch 44 revolver for follow up shots. If you have never shot a 5 inch 44 go rent one and check it out . They are a hand full when loaded for man much more so when loaded for bear .
Make sure if you go 10mm, to buy true 10mm ammo. Much of the commercially-loaded 10mm is downloaded. I really like Underwood - it's still loaded hot, the way 10mm was designed to be. I'd especially be looking at them (or Buffalo Bore) if I was trusting my pistol in bear country.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Make sure if you go 10mm, to buy true 10mm ammo. Much of the commercially-loaded 10mm is downloaded. I really like Underwood - it's still loaded hot, the way 10mm was designed to be. I'd especially be looking at them (or Buffalo Bore) if I was trusting my pistol in bear country.
One of my relatives is actually a guide in Alaska for hunts, he has quite a bit of experience with bears, and we have talked quite a bit about what he carries/what he packs out. I am a huge proponent of 10mm, I shoot it all the time and tell other shooters about it, have sold several 10mms to people on here as well, but I have had this conversation with him multiple times and he doesn't know anyone carrying a semi-auto for bear defense. Now take that with a grain of salt, as you can see the bears up there are much bigger than in Oklahoma.

He personally swears by carrying a shotgun with slugs for bear defense and a lot of the guides do the same. He also carries a 44 magnum as a backup gun, I believe a S&W 629.

I know that a shotgun is less convenient and may not fit what you are looking for but offering the info. Not only are they extremely effective, its also very affordable and something many people already have.

fullsizeoutput_521.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom