• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Bear Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I did a lot of research across the internet before spending two months in Wyoming and Montana this summer in prime Grizzly country as we like to visit/hike in the backwoods.
Finally settled on the Buffalo Bore 265 grain solid copper flat point as the round of choice for the 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag carried in a chest rig.
It's loaded for all .44 mag pistols which would include the S&W that doesn't do well with big magnum charges like the Redhawk can handle easily so that round could actually be better.
It's a big pistol, and I got a lot of stares walking the trails but perfectly legal in national parks as long as one stays out of the buildings while armed.
With temps in the 80's and 90's, it was impossible to conceal. Unusually warm summer for that neck of the woods.
I was shocked to see rail skinny women jogging down the back roads alone which would invite a reactive charge from a bear that has an attitude, but we didn't hear of any issues but one where they shut off part of the park because the numbers of griz had increased. They were in the lower country at Glacier NP eating prior to the winter coming to add fat before hibernating.
I do know the Alaska Game Wardens are issued semi auto 10mm sidearm as well as 12 ga. With the choice of only one, I'd go with the .44 mag.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I thought I was going to be able to afford to go to Alaska I settled on 12 gauge and 10mm. The 10mm was after a lot of study and questions to folks I know who were stationed in Alaska. Not going to say it is better than 44magnum at all just saying for me it fit the bill. I reload so power would not have been an issue. But all that study was for naught, grand children came along and money got tight LOL.
My top two guns (now) for hunting BLACK bear are a custom built Browning BLR in a 375 WSM wildcat and a Springfield XDM 10mm but if I was going for Grizzley or a big "Browney" in Alaska I'd take my CZ-550 in 416 Rigby and my M-29 3" S&W

Latest posts

Top Bottom