• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Bear Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
One of my relatives is actually a guide in Alaska for hunts, he has quite a bit of experience with bears, and we have talked quite a bit about what he carries/what he packs out. I am a huge proponent of 10mm, I shoot it all the time and tell other shooters about it, have sold several 10mms to people on here as well, but I have had this conversation with him multiple times and he doesn't know anyone carrying a semi-auto for bear defense. Now take that with a grain of salt, as you can see the bears up there are much bigger than in Oklahoma.

He personally swears by carrying a shotgun with slugs for bear defense and a lot of the guides do the same. He also carries a 44 magnum as a backup gun, I believe a S&W 629.

I know that a shotgun is less convenient and may not fit what you are looking for but offering the info. Not only are they extremely effective, its also very affordable and something many people already have.

View attachment 240209
View attachment 240210
When I thought I was going to be able to afford to go to Alaska I settled on 12 gauge and 10mm. The 10mm was after a lot of study and questions to folks I know who were stationed in Alaska. Not going to say it is better than 44magnum at all just saying for me it fit the bill. I reload so power would not have been an issue. But all that study was for naught, grand children came along and money got tight LOL.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
When I thought I was going to be able to afford to go to Alaska I settled on 12 gauge and 10mm. The 10mm was after a lot of study and questions to folks I know who were stationed in Alaska. Not going to say it is better than 44magnum at all just saying for me it fit the bill. I reload so power would not have been an issue. But all that study was for naught, grand children came along and money got tight LOL.
Haha hopefully you can make it someday. I’m sure you talk to 100 people you get 100 different recommendations or what they know people to carry. Especially in Oklahoma I am sure 10mm is fine for black bears

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
12ga slugs and a magnum pistol (.357 minimum) sounds like a plan to me.

No bear experience whatsoever, but I feel safe in saying that shot placement (as with other dangerous situations) is more important than caliber. Within reason, of course... .22LR would be waaaaay down on my list. :D

Luck. :drunk2:
___

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You may have a problem getting someone to cut loose a 44 magnum revolver... May want to look into the 10mm autos . They do the job and are generally easier to get back on target than a 5 inch 44 revolver for follow up shots. If you have never shot a 5 inch 44 go rent one and check it out . They are a hand full when loaded for man much more so when loaded for bear .

For real? I have a S&W 629 with a 2 1/2” barrel that I carry for bear defense. Loaded with either 240 grain FMJ or 300 grain hard cast core and it’s not that hard to handle. I’ve found all the talk about it’s recoil somewhat exaggerated.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
12ga slugs and a magnum pistol (.357 minimum) sounds like a plan to me.

No bear experience whatsoever, but I feel safe in saying that shot placement (as with other dangerous situations) is more important than caliber. Within reason, of course... .22LR would be waaaaay down on my list. :D

Luck. :drunk2:
___
It’s a good read on documented cases of handguns and their calibers used in bear defense situations.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/ha...attacks-104-cases-97-effective/#axzz7F4RZAeUN

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
For real? I have a S&W 629 with a 2 1/2” barrel that I carry for bear defense. Loaded with either 240 grain FMJ or 300 grain hard cast core and it’s not that hard to handle. I’ve found all the talk about it’s recoil somewhat exaggerated.
I have no problem handling one either but they are not for everyone. So yes "for real" I think a person should shoot one before they get it and find out it is not for them.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Haha hopefully you can make it someday. I’m sure you talk to 100 people you get 100 different recommendations or what they know people to carry. Especially in Oklahoma I am sure 10mm is fine for black bears
I carry a 357 for black bear on my lease in SE Oklahoma and have never seen a bear down there LOL. Seen pics from a couple other hunters down there but that is about it.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have no problem handling one either but they are not for everyone. So yes "for real" I think a person should shoot one before they get it and find out it is not for them.
Agree with that. Took a couple of lady friends to H&H a few years ago and 5 different handguns. They both said they wanted to shoot my .44 mag. 1st gal fired off one round and about jumped out of her skin. The second one fired off all six rounds and complained after each shot. Then she said “Show me how to reload it cause I wanna shoot it again!!” For some it’s a love/hate type deal.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Agree with that. Took a couple of lady friends to H&H a few years ago and 5 different handguns. They both said they wanted to shoot my .44 mag. 1st gal fired off one round and about jumped out of her skin. The second one fired off all six rounds and complained after each shot. Then she said “Show me how to reload it cause I wanna shoot it again!!” For some it’s a love/hate type deal.
Buddy bought a SW500 , we shot it , I smiled ear to ear , he looked a little green around the gills and he gave the revolver to his son!! A week later he told me his wrist still hurt!! 🤣

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
10mm is not even as powerful as a .41 Magnum, so that would be out for me as a bear stopper. A .44 loaded with good 300gr bullets would be the minimum for me, a .45 Colt, .454 Casull or better yet .475 Linebaugh would be what I would take.

Latest posts

Top Bottom