Behind the glass...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was kind of notorious when I was living in Des Moines for buying up all the guinea pigs and such that went on sale at the local pet shops when the food I bred for my 'babies' was getting thin. The pet shops thought they were pets. I thought different. Thankfully I HATE mice and rats and love to raise them for food. Its the freakin crickets that stink up my critter room the most though, I have to have a ton of them for the arachnids and the geckos. The geckos are fattening up their tails this time of year and are eating the shite out of them right now.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was kind of notorious when I was living in Des Moines for buying up all the guinea pigs and such that went on sale at the local pet shops when the food I bred for my 'babies' was getting thin. The pet shops thought they were pets. I thought different.

Yeh! I went to breeding rats out of necessity. Mice just weren't cutting it anymore. Rats get really big, too. Not as big as guinea pigs, but my red tails were eating two at a time every other day. One of the things I liked about the red tails is that they would almost always crap in their water pans, which made cleanup immensely easier.

[Broken External Image]

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Behold, Reptilicus.

i.imgur.com_MIyaADl.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reptilicus wags his tongue to the tantalizing tastes found in 9 Lives cat food.

i.imgur.com_jNdzujA.jpg

i.imgur.com_rLhrMFt.jpg

Now for another bite.

i.imgur.com_wuN9fZJ.jpg

i.imgur.com_sf5ycRz.jpg

Although easy to feed and care for, the major problem with the blue tongued skinks that I have encountered - at least with these Indonesians is that they are incompatible with each other and must be housed in separate units. They may seem to get along at first, but this is transitory. They will become territorial and attack each other. Reptilicus is no gentleman toward his females, and bears a scar across his head where Reptilica lacerated him. The teeth are tiny, and sharp - the jaws powerful. Each skink has its own tank. When I'm off I like to take them out and place them on the floor in different parts of the house. They can't climb, and are large, so that helps in tracking them down. The females are skittish, but the male (Reptilicus) is dog tame and will approach on command. Often, I release him atop the bed, and he will crawl atop my chest while I'm on the laptop. The females won't do this.

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sexing of the blue tongue skink is simple once they hit adolescence; the size of the skull is smaller on the female. Here is one of my adult females, her name is Reptilica. Notice the aquiline appearance of the head.

i.imgur.com_gYz0wXc.jpg

i.imgur.com_kWy3Whd.jpg

On the other hand, the adult male has a massive head with jaw muscles that protrude significantly on either side of his face. The body of the male is more robust, too. This is my adult male, Reptilicus. Compare the skull structure to that of the female, and you will immediately see the difference.

i.imgur.com_dkUenHq.jpg

i.imgur.com_EFCS9OH.jpg

i.imgur.com_q7OQCds.jpg

i.imgur.com_vskiXTI.jpg

i.imgur.com_GtgNgNy.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom