Beretta 92FS....Your Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

I know this will sound a little "sacrilege" coming from a devoted Colt 1911 and a Sig Sauer person, but I'll throw out these questions.

I have plenty of semi-auto and revolver pistols but I spotted the Beretta 92FS and took a good look at it.

I was in an Academy in Edmond Sunday killing time, walking through the sporting goods section and came across this gun.

Yes, I know AND have not forgiven the U.S. Military for switching to the Beretta, but I'll throw this out.

Not needing any more Colts or Sigs, and for the price(less than $600) at Academy how would you rate this gun?? I have shot several and have a favorable liking toward this gun.

Is there a real difference between an Amercian made 92fs -vs- and Italian 92fs?? Are there American made 92fs models?? Is it (if I remember correctly) possible to accidently disassemble the slide from the frame like the old rumors use to state?

How long have(if you own one) you owned yours and how has it held up compared to other semi-autos you own or have owned??

Basically a pro & con of this gun the Beretta 92FS NOT other guns.

***Sorry, I don't want NOR need anyone to try to persuade me on other makes or models(Kimber, Glock, Walther, Smith...etc).****

Just your analysis of the Beretta 92FS, good or bad. ***Along with an explanation of why you feel or think this way.
[Broken External Image]

Thanks!!
Cohiba

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like the B 92/96 series of pistols.

Simple, fairly strong (with exception of the earlylug that was prone to cracking... but that seems to be fixed now).

Accurate enough for a duty-service class firearm.

What I don't like about them... SA to DA transition... once you learn to transistion you get used to it.

Size... build a frame that big- make it a 45 (ok the 96 is 40SW-close enough)

I've owned a 96 ... my son has it now. I'd pick up another.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hollywood sure likes 'em!

Every cops and robbers movie out there has the cops totin' 'em. Of course...Mel Gibson and Bruce Willis made 'em famous with their respective Lethal Weapon and Die Hard franchises.

Would I own one if the price was right? Mmmm...yeah sure...why not. ;)

I still say the best 9mm pistol IMHO is the often overlooked Smith & Wesson 5906. :thumb:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good gun, just bulky for a 9mm. I've owned two and wouldn't be opposed to owning another one, but I can take them or leave them. I had a 96 and hated it. Not enough slide mass for the .40 chambering IMO.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several, including one beautifl high polish Italian one with wood grips. I like them. Take one on every road trip I go on. They are reliable and accurate. Extra mags are cheap and available. I have sexier 9mm pistols; Walther P88, HK P7 series, Colt 9mm Government Model, but I am a huge fan of the 92.

Search gunbroker and auctionarms, and you might come across a high polish one like mine.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally love the 92fs. I've been looking for a deal on the inox model for a while now. I think they are timelessly sexy!! Can't go wrong with them IMO. I've had 2 96's, but I really want a 92.

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried one for 3 years in the Marines and had to qualify with it for a couple years. I didn't love the platform. It's bigger than it needs to be given the accuracy and capacity. As Jefpainthorse said the DA to SA transition isn't the best. I think they are over priced also.

Given all of those negatives I'll probably get one down the line. I would probably get one just to hang up on the wall with the rest of my Yut Yut gear. They are reliable and accurate enough for it's intended purpose. Given the cost I haven't picked one up, and have opted for other steel framed firearms.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I personally think the 92fs is absolutely awesome. I owned one for roughly 7 years and had to sell it last year due to financial problems at the time and have regretted ever since.

I just recently bought another one and couldn't be happier. It's large in the grip, but it points very naturally for me and is probably the most accurate handgun that I've had a chance to own.

I've never had a FTF, FTE, or any other problems with function.

Buy one, you'll love it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom