Beretta 92FS....Your Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like most of the other responses, I have a positive opinion of the Beretta 92FS. Owned one for at least the last fifteen years. Put maybe 1000-2000 rds thru mine with no failures that I can recall. Accurate enough to knock down eight inch steel plate racks at 25 yds., if you do your part. It's a full size service pistol with a DA/SA trigger that you have to learn to deal with. Carried it concealed once or twice maybe, it's a little big for me to conceal. But I was a 1911 guy for about thirty yrs. Went over to the dark side three yrs ago. Currently carrying Gen 4 Glock 17. I think all pistol owners should own and become competent with a version of U.S. military's current issue sidearm. If you can afford it, Hell yes buy one, I say.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 92G Elite II which is pretty much the same gun with a few modifications. The M9 was the first handgun I ever shot and I liked it, so I wanted to get one or something similar.

It is big, heavy, and has a large grip - for me the large grip is a pro, but for people with small hands or are used to a slim 1911 grip, the 92 may be difficult to shoot. My 12 year old son has no problem with it. The size and weight is a con for concealed carry, but a pro for reducing recoil.

I have had mine for about two years and put a few thousand rounds through it with only one FTF with reloaded ammo. It eats everything from cheap FMJ to +P Corbon with no problems.

The biggest gripe I have with the 92FS is that a safety on a DA/SA pistol is redundant (but required by the DOD contract). That is why I got a 92G instead - the lever is a decocker only and springs back to the fire position.

It is really easy to field strip and clean, but the Lethal Weapon scene where the bad guy takes the slide off Mel Gibson's pistol is staged - the takedown lever has to be pushed and rotated down to remove the slide.

As you can probably tell, I really like mine and would highly recommend getting one.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't shoot either of my 92FS much anymore because I mostly play games with my pistols. I have nicer, more fun guns to shoot than the 92FS. However, if I have to have a pistol with off the rack ammo the 92FS would be my first choice. I cracked a couple of locking lugs on them. I found that my groups shifted to the side of the lug that was cracked. Easy to diagnose and easy to fix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom