Best 1911 for the $

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guess That Kinda Speaks To My Point...its Not All About Names, Price, Etc. Sometimes It Boils Down To Personal Preference.

personal preference to what; use inferior equipment?

We have enough moral relativity out there in society already. Lets be honest and call a cat a cat, and a dog a dog, and a cheap gun a cheap gun, and a quality gun a quality gun.

No emotion, no internet fights; it is what it is.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi All,
I agree with Olyeller.
The real problem with webside discussions, is that they way too often become emotional, instead of being factual.
The whole 1911 market has become contaminated with misinformation and wrong advertisement, especially within the last 10-15 years.
There's 3 types of 1911's in generel.
1. Stock guns.
2. assembly line wannabe custom.
3. True custom.

Understand, that nothing man made is 100% reliable. However, a master 1911 pistolsmith charges $ 2.000 + for a reason, and it sure beats the quality of any technician working a 1911 assembly line in Asia or Brazil.
Of course one can get lucky, and get a pretty reliable assembly line "custom" 1911, but you may get a lemon instead.
The average customer walking into a gun store, can't understand why one 1911 cost $1.500 more than the other, especially not when they look so much alike on the outside.
I think it was the late Mr. Cooper who said something like " the true beauty on a 45, is on the inside". But the quality on the inside, usually don't sell that well to the untrained eye, compared to a flashy look on the outside.
Only problem with that, is that cosmetics has never contributed to winning any gunfight...only reliabilty.
However, saying all that, if I should recommend a 1911 to someone on a budget, I would be buying a Kimber/Springfield/Para etc. either new or slightly used. Have it checked by a "qualified" pistolsmith, and most likely reworked some in regards to reliability.
And then of course not taking any chances with any lowpriced mags/ammo.
Just a thought for now.
Jess

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geeez the guy just wanted to know what kind of 1911 he get get for under 1500.00, Please dont buy a good Colt and ruin it by cera-coating it, I have a taurus pt99mm that will shoot inside some 1911 shots, Taurus Isnt junk but then its not a POS either, Now a Norinco or LLama they are POSs

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geeez the guy just wanted to know what kind of 1911 he get get for under 1500.00, Please dont buy a good Colt and ruin it by cera-coating it, I have a taurus pt99mm that will shoot inside some 1911 shots, Taurus Isnt junk but then its not a POS either, Now a Norinco or LLama they are POSs

There's a big difference between Taurus' Beretta copies and the rest of their lines. They bought all of Beretta's old machinery so it would be tough to screw that one up.

I've got a HC'ed Colt does that make me a sinner? :D

Also to be clear, those that know 1911s understand that a Norinco is probably one of the better 1911s you can buy for the money. Many well known smiths and shops used them for base guns "back in the day." Now a Llama is a different story.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a big difference between Taurus' Beretta copies and the rest of their lines. They bought all of Beretta's old machinery so it would be tough to screw that one up.

I've got a HC'ed Colt does that make me a sinner? :D

Also to be clear, those that know 1911s understand that a Norinco is probably one of the better 1911s you can buy for the money. Many well known smiths and shops used them for base guns "back in the day." Now a Llama is a different story.
Your right, Norincos are okay for base guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom