Best 1911 for .......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that was an anomaly. The e series is mostly just a pretty version of the base sw1911. No slop and I carry mine a lot.

The E-series got a big boost in reliability in higher round counts due to the larger extractor, but you're right, outside of that it's fluff. Hilton Yam describes the older extractor problems in detail.

As far as being an anomaly, it doesn't seem so. EVERY S&W E-series seems to have a crappy fitted grip safety, all one has to do is google or post pics. That's not a deal killer for me as it doesn't compromise function but you'd think they'd put in a little more effort into for $800+ guns. I was actually willing to live with this recently because I think the S&W E-series 108482 is a good deal. Every one I picked up..... and that was a total of 3.... had a VERY sloppy thumb safety fit. No positive engagement whatsoever. Easy fix, and I'd probably rather have a different TS anyways but it shouldn't come from the factory like that.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The E-series got a big boost in reliability in higher round counts due to the larger extractor, but you're right, outside of that it's fluff. Hilton Yam describes the older extractor problems in detail.

As far as being an anomaly, it doesn't seem so. EVERY S&W E-series seems to have a crappy fitted grip safety, all one has to do is google or post pics. That's not a deal killer for me as it doesn't compromise function but you'd think they'd put in a little more effort into for $800+ guns. I was actually willing to live with this recently because I think the S&W E-series 108482 is a good deal. Every one I picked up..... and that was a total of 3.... had a VERY sloppy thumb safety fit. No positive engagement whatsoever. Easy fix, and I'd probably rather have a different TS anyways but it shouldn't come from the factory like that.
That's surprising because my plain old sw1911 is fit tight like guns at twice the price and its ridiculously reliable. In fact I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about one. If the gun is already reliable to a fault I don't see how a larger extractor would improve it. The gun just doesn't fail ever.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 2 1911's....both were Ruger fullsize. I sold the first one due to needing money and I bought another. I listed it over the weekend to help fund my kiddo's new swingset but after thinking it over, I just can't let her go. I absolutely love that gun. It shoots great, feels great in my hands, and looks great. I need to add a commander, after I pay for that swing set :crying:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's surprising because my plain old sw1911 is fit tight like guns at twice the price and its ridiculously reliable. In fact I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about one. If the gun is already reliable to a fault I don't see how a larger extractor would improve it. The gun just doesn't fail ever.

A stock S&W isn't fit like a $1500 1911 in any way shape or form. Again, they great guns for under $1000 but let's be realistic, they aren't fit like a TRP or Dan Wesson, not even close. Now in concerns of reliability, you'll have to read what Hilton Yam found with higher round count S&Ws..... granted I don't agree with him on everything.... it does say a lot that S&W redesigned it.

He sums up his findings here.....

The S&W 1911 is a good value for the money, but some samples of the guns exhibit tolerance stacking which leaves the extractor sitting too high in relation to the cartridge rim. This causes the cartridge rim to get pulled off the extractor hook during barrel linkdown. The extractor loses grip on the casing, resulting in issues with extraction and ejection - commonly seen as erratic ejection patterns or stovepipes. The problem is not apparent in new guns or guns with relatively low round counts (less than 5000 rounds), which is why most shooters tend to do ok with the guns. Further, most shooters do not realize that the gun is borderline in functioning if the empty cases are ejecting from the gun - albeit in a haphazard pattern, to include straight up, to the left, over their head, or straight out in front of the gun. A gun that exhibits such flawed ejection patterns is not "flawless" or "working just fine", and is typically waiting to spring bigger problems on its user. A new extractor doesn't typically cure the issue, as the accumulated wear compounds the tolerance stacking problem.

The fact that there is a different Performance Center extractor should be an important indicator that there is a better solution. Further, it is important to note that I am not condemning all external extractors. If you have read my articles, I am a big proponent of the concept. However, the point here is that the results for the production SW1911 extractors are inconsistent.

If you already have the gun running and it is working for you at this time, then drive on. Just keep a critical eye on the gun and understand what you are observing.

To be clear, this was written before the newer E-series came out, and he's since given the E-series a good review.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A stock S&W isn't fit like a $1500 1911 in any way shape or form. Again, they great guns for under $1000 but let's be realistic, they aren't fit like a TRP or Dan Wesson, not even close. Now in concerns of reliability, you'll have to read what Hilton Yam found with higher round count S&Ws..... granted I don't agree with him on everything.... it does say a lot that S&W redesigned it.

He sums up his findings here.....

To be clear, this was written before the newer E-series came out, and he's since given the E-series a good review.
Whatever. Its tighter than any kimber I've ever held and they are almost double the price. I don't know about dan Wesson but a sw1911 will hang with any kimber or sig or other 1400 dollar gun out there and mine only cost $800. I haven't messed with the e series but I do have a standard model and a 3" model pro series and I've had them quite a while so I might just know a little bit about these guns. Sorry but they ARE fit tight regardless of what you might think from reading articles or whatever. I put my money where my mouth is and I bought two of them AFTER fondling the higher priced ones and doing quite a bit of research. I'm not bashing other guns but I know what a smith is and what it will do. And as far as the extractor issue, I probably have 1500rounds fired total between my to smiths and that HAS NOT HAPPENED EVEN ONE TIME and I do not baby them at all.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever. Its tighter than any kimber I've ever held and they are almost double the price.

Like, whatever Bro!!! The one thing Kimber has going for it is frame to slide fit. Kimber's $800 base model is fit the same as their fluff models. Never noticed any difference between Kimber or S&W. However, like I said.... TRP or Dan Wesson....which are legit $1600-1700guns..... big difference in overall fit of the gun. This is NO secret.

Sorry but they ARE fit tight regardless of what you might think from reading articles or whatever

Dunno why you're getting all huffy and taking this personally. Go back and read what I said. I said the grip safeties are poorly fitted. Don't like it? Too bad, it's a fact, I'm not the only to notice. I also said that every model of 108482 I was looking for (i.e. looking to BUY) had a thumb safety that didn't have a very positive engagement. Speaking from experience, it sucks when your safety moves to an unsafe condition during carry. Again.... I can't help you if you don't like it.... but it IS an easy fix.

I put my money where my mouth is and I bought two of them AFTER fondling the higher priced ones and doing quite a bit of research

Good for you. I speak from ownership of several different brands of probably 30+ 1911s over the years, from base model Norincos to full house customs. Several of them have well beyond the round counts we are speaking of here.

I probably have 1500rounds fired total between my to smiths and that HAS NOT HAPPENED EVEN ONE TIME and I do not baby them at all.

Again, good for you. 1500 rounds between two guns is just breaking them in in my book. Now again.... I'm going highlight in bold what others have found out with the smaller extractor S&Ws and HIGH ROUND COUNTS.

The problem is not apparent in new guns or guns with relatively low round counts (less than 5000 rounds), which is why most shooters tend to do ok with the guns. Further, most shooters do not realize that the gun is borderline in functioning if the empty cases are ejecting from the gun

Again, S&W redesigned the guns.... why is that? Their PC guns were and are setup differently..... why is that? You can get pissy with me all you like, but I'm just the messenger.

So lighten up Francis.... nobody said you have a POS. You just need to be aware of what your gun does. Especially when you get past an entry level round count.

Latest posts

Top Bottom