Best 1911 for .......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like, whatever Bro!!! The one thing Kimber has going for it is frame to slide fit. Kimber's $800 base model is fit the same as their fluff models. Never noticed any difference between Kimber or S&W. However, like I said.... TRP or Dan Wesson....which are legit $1600-1700guns..... big difference in overall fit of the gun. This is NO secret.

Dunno why you're getting all huffy and taking this personally. Go back and read what I said. I said the grip safeties are poorly fitted. Don't like it? Too bad, it's a fact, I'm not the only to notice. I also said that every model of 108482 I was looking for (i.e. looking to BUY) had a thumb safety that didn't have a very positive engagement. Speaking from experience, it sucks when your safety moves to an unsafe condition during carry. Again.... I can't help you if you don't like it.... but it IS an easy fix.

Good for you. I speak from ownership of several different brands of probably 30+ 1911s over the years, from base model Norincos to full house customs. Several of them have well beyond the round counts we are speaking of here.

Again, good for you. 1500 rounds between two guns is just breaking them in in my book. Now again.... I'm going highlight in bold what others have found out with the smaller extractor S&Ws and HIGH ROUND COUNTS.

Again, S&W redesigned the guns.... why is that? Their PC guns were and are setup differently..... why is that? You can get pissy with me all you like, but I'm just the messenger.

So lighten up Francis.... nobody said you have a POS. You just need to be aware of what your gun does. Especially when you get past an entry level round count.

Not taking it personal. I just don't look at one source as gospel, over the last few years I've done a ridiculous amount of reading about the guns I own not just the 1911s FWI I can find far more negative reviews/articles about Kimbers than Smiths or really any other "decent" 1911. I'd happily match you round for round with any 1911 you'd care to produce. Also the idea that the gun is going to suddenly perform worse after break in is kind of stoopid.

The problem I typically see is people equating higher price with higher quality and it is really seldom so unless you're talking about something custom. Kimber is a great example of this. Two people in my family own them and I don't see a single thing about them that is better and I think the cheapest of the two was like $1300. Just a bunch of extra pretty is all.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 2 1911's....both were Ruger fullsize. I sold the first one due to needing money and I bought another. I listed it over the weekend to help fund my kiddo's new swingset but after thinking it over, I just can't let her go. I absolutely love that gun. It shoots great, feels great in my hands, and looks great. I need to add a commander, after I pay for that swing set :crying:

I was thinking of giving her a new home....lol

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing and almost went with a Ruger Commander but it seemed heavy for a commander. I have been looking at the Kimber Pro Carry II.
Bullitt had a used Ruger Commander LNIB at the gunshow for 615.

The one at Bullitt is gone. Someone just bought it...

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like, whatever Bro!!! The one thing Kimber has going for it is frame to slide fit. Kimber's $800 base model is fit the same as their fluff models. Never noticed any difference between Kimber or S&W. However, like I said.... TRP or Dan Wesson....which are legit $1600-1700guns..... big difference in overall fit of the gun. This is NO secret .

Dukester... You should listen to GMThunder. 11 months ago he told me that anyone buying a TRP for $1300 was a joke. Funny how his opinion changes. Now it's a legit $1600-$1700 gun? Some people just like to argue.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dukester... You should listen to GMThunder. 11 months ago he told me that anyone buying a TRP for $1300 was a joke. Funny how his opinion changes. Now it's a legit $1600-$1700 gun? Some people just like to argue.

I stand by that comment. Reading comprehension is fundamental though. In reference to this conversation..... legit means PRICE. Are they fit well? Yes.... and they riddled with MIM? Yes. Can you get better guns for the money. Yes. They are good guns..... just overpriced.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a Ruger 1911 fan. I have read the reviews and shot the gun. It is a fine weapon but I would prefer the Springfield loaded or range. If I was going to carry I would go with the sig tac ops. The guns are loaded up and they shoot great. The light rail is a big plus. I would be hard to convince there is a better value in the Ruger or the Kimber. I have owned or own all of these and own most customs. I believe you would be happy with the sig. It come with 3 nice mags and will function well. The Springer may or may not be more accurate, but you will like the sig.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/98522/c/firearms/brand/SIG SAUER
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/133433/c/firearms

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I stand by that comment. Reading comprehension is fundamental though. In reference to this conversation..... legit means PRICE. Are they fit well? Yes.... and they riddled with MIM? Yes. Can you get better guns for the money. Yes. They are good guns..... just overpriced.

Sorry, you have failed to convert me. Performance is performance. Go ahead and pay two or three times the money, ill be putting just as many holes in just as many targets for just as long. I didn't buy a Smith because I couldn't afford to spend more.But don't get me wrong, with exception of maybe Kimber which ill never think of as superior, I don't knock the higher end guns. Everybody likes what they like.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the features. The sig has night sites, mag well, ambi saftey, light rail, beaver tail, checkered front strap, better mags, nice grips and comes with a holster. It cost $750 to $800. It's really not even close. The damn thing has $500 worth of parts on it!

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For a cheap 1911... Get whatever used basic model you like and put in a good barrel, toss those MIM parts, and a few Tripp research mags or whatever you like and shoot the hell out of it.

But the barrel does need to be fitted IMO, so that's kinda optional really... I just think the mags and the barrel are the vitals of the 1911

Latest posts

Top Bottom