Best 1911 in the $1,000 Range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For right at that or just a bit more, you can get a Colt Talo LW Commander NIB. They make great CCW. If your not in a hurry you might be able to pick up a Les Baer for around $1300. For under $800 you can get a Ruger, and believe me it should be priced for over $1000. In your price range, there are too many to name. S&W makes a great 1911, Sig does as well. You could even pick up a WWII Remington Rand. Just don't get in a hurry. I have bought a WWI 1918 Black Army all original for $800, a Yost-Bonitz Colt Custom for $1000, and even a custom 1955 Colt 38 Super LW Commander and a LW Custom FN Browning HP for $1400 for the pair.

Coonskinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the information.

The only 1911 I have shot much was my old Series 70.

I am currently on a mission to replace some guns I had to sell during a financially difficult period. Some I am going to have a hard time with, and for sure they're going to cost me a lot more this time around. :)

I am mostly a revolver guy, but I sure loved shooting the old Colt.

STI is sounding good.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't overlook the used market. An unmolested Series 70 Colt could be a "No Brainer" for you (Except for the price). The key is the lack of "Bubba Smithed" modifications. Another to look at is the early Kimber Custom Classics (Clackamas, OR) mfg. Not nocking the current models, but the early pistols from '95-'98 were very well fitted, and despite the gunboard crying over MIM parts, have proven to be "Keepers". Yes I have one, and it's well past 15K rounds and still running strong. The .45 ACP is a lower pressure cartridge and doesn't beat the gun up as long as springs are kept up with.

There's many other examples of good deals out there, but the bottom line is- You falling in lust with the 1911 that does it for you and shooting the hell out of it. Then, you'll be hooked and start rationalizing how you "Need" more and different versions.

Coonskinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The used market is definitely something i am keeping an eye on.

My only concern is the fact that I am not savvy enough to be able to detect any "Bubba-smithing" that might have been done.

Another Series 70 would be great, except I would like something with a little better sights.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For under 1k I would go with the Springfield Range Officer. Great gun for the money. If you're willing to spend up to and beyond 1k though, I think you'd be happy if you just saved up a little more and bought a Les Baer PMII. Last time I priced one with Crazy John I think the cost for the options I wanted was going to be a little under $1500...of course that was a couple years ago.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Springfield Range Officer gets my vote for under a grand.

Don't over look the Springfield "Loaded"

For under 1k I would go with the Springfield Range Officer. Great gun for the money. If you're willing to spend up to and beyond 1k though, I think you'd be happy if you just saved up a little more and bought a Les Baer PMII. Last time I priced one with Crazy John I think the cost for the options I wanted was going to be a little under $1500...of course that was a couple years ago.

Don't over look the Springfield "Loaded", and they come blued to go along with their stainless models.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colt or "E" series S&W 1911.

Gonna second this. Also gonna say that STI is probably the best deal at or just above $1000. Only problem is that you'd better like adjustable sites.

Ruger and Sig also put out really guns for the money.

I'd stay away from Kimber, their series II FPS is junk.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't over look the Springfield "Loaded"

Don't over look the Springfield "Loaded", and they come blued to go along with their stainless models.

The Loaded is a nice gun. I was thinking about getting one before the RO came out. When I compared them, the RO was a lot tighter than the Loaded. I still can't get mine apart without a bushing wrench. I also preferred having no front cocking serrerations and no ambi safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom