Best 1911 in the $1,000 Range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to stand by my recommendations of current production Colt or the "E" series Smith. I'll agree that the STI offerings are just as good (except the Spartan, which is good, but not quite that good). It's just that the Colt and Smith are also good value for the money. The best non-custom 1911 on the market is Dan Wesson, but I doubt you'd find one under $1,250, even used.

If you're willing to go used and build up a custom gun, the old Norinco imports are great deals. I'd also recommend Caspian for a build.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread and not wanting to hijack but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
Are the S&W E-series that much better than the non E and are the non E's something to avoid?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading this thread and not wanting to hijack but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
Are the S&W E-series that much better than the non E and are the non E's something to avoid?

Better design on the external extractor. Google Hilton Yam and S&W1911 and you'll see his writeup about it. Basically the previous design sits too high on the rim and is too small. Apparently it causes problems in higher round counts. Funny thing is he tested a newer E series and the EE retainer pin fell out.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my eye on the 9m STI Trojan that Dawson Precision gives the CRP treatment. The negative comments are few and far between on the internet, which says something to me. (Cuz everyone knows everybody likes to complain and whine on the internets.) I will probably take the plunge in the next few weeks. Hopefully all the craziness doesn't delay the order too much. But I also have a Kimber that has been trouble free for me. And it has the dreaded MIM parts... 0_o

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Owned a few different Kimbers, springfield loaded and a Sig scorpion. Hands down the basic model kimber stainless II is my favorite. The scorpion looked the best but there's a reason I sold all of them except my custom II. Plus with the money you'll have left over you can get a nice set of grips and maybe night sights!!! Smooth, sleek, simple and safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom