Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno why this has turned into such a red herring.
You said.... the GUTS of a Norinco are junk and I was clarifying that the "guts" are better than most modern day small parts on guns $1000 and below. Yes, the rough machining that I've seen on Norincos, or rather on the two that I actually own, is in non-critical areas such as the dust cover.

Interesting, which smiths said that? They aren't practicing what they preach if that's the case. Wilson pushes their bulletproof parts to no end. Nighthawk also uses the best parts available? In fact I can't think of one custom builder that chooses to use MIM. Personally, I've seen and experienced failures with MIM so I keep the variables to a minimum. Oh well, YMMV. :D

How did I know that you owned a Norinco? Yeah, again you are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they were junk. I said they sucked which meant to me that they needed some work. I also said that the frames and slides were pretty good. I've seen Caspian frames that had less than desirable machining. It happens now and again. Ultimately, a good quality frame and slide are the foundation of a 1911. Barrels and small parts are easy to replace and you have a huge variety to choose from. M. Bay did some custom work on a customer's Norinco a couple of years ago. Was it yours perhaps? It turned into a really nice gun. I remember pulling it out of the parkerizing tank and it had a almost black color to the finish.

Right, but builders were using tool steel parts before the internet. :D Methinks it has quite a bit than internet lore?

I have a sear from a older Wilson that split in two when Mike Bay @ Precision was doing a trigger job on an older Wilson built in 1998. TS broke off a Custom II I had. Saw a RIA puke at the range when a guy was showing me his new "carry gun." There was a guy here that posted his Kimber hammer here..

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d8_JD8_IMG_0688.jpg

Kimber merely offered to send him a replacement I might add. That's first hand, but I DO know of a few reputable pistolsmiths here that could share a story or two. :D

Just out of curiosiy, which pistolsmith said what about MIM from your conversations?

If someone takes themselves a bit too seriously (which can happen from time to time here :D ) and or has thin skin then I dunno what to say, as my original statement was neither accusatory nor was it arrogant. I THEN asked him to clarify in which it seemed like backpeddling to me. Sometimes people should just admit that they mispoke? JMO. YMMV. :D

I wasn't back peddling and I don't have thin skin. I was just trying to avoid this pointless argument in the first place. From the tone in your responses to my statements you sounded like you had a bone to pick.

lol, I guess.

Dang man, that's crazy. I guess I just don't hang with the right crowd, I honestly cannot think of a single time I've ever seen anything like the above other than on the boards. Like I said, I understand that MIM is not as strong as TS, was just stating that I've never experienced it.

Vic Tibbitts, Ron Phillip's son (Jared maybe?) and John where the one's we were bsing about it with. It all started by me asking "what makes your bulletproof parts special"... and even they said... "not much" and proceeded to tell me that MIM isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

As for the thin skin, I dunno. Again, you do often come off as being hateful in your posts. Tact goes a long way. Even when somebody is back peddling, it's not always necessary to call him out on it.

He corrected my vocabulary in a thread, rather than being pissy about it, I just ignored it.

I wasn't trying to be an @$$ about that. I was just keeping you on your toes. :) Its easy to mistype something. I have to proof read what I type all the time and still miss things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom