Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to get a good used one. Last I owned was a Colt series 70 twenty years ago. The landscape has obviously changed since then. Looking for a good shooter.
Any reccomendations would be helpful. This would be used for home defense, not ccw.:gun2:

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tons of good options out there - I don't see a reason to go with a 1911 for home defense over say a shotgun.

but Les Baer, Colt, Nighthawk, Kimber, Springfield, Rock Island - all good choices :)

this is in my opinion though and not inclusive - just some good ones to think about

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL This might get interesting. Everyone usually has one make they favor over others, because that's what they own. I've never owned a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or any other 1911 pistol other than my Kimber. If they all function and shoot like my Kimber, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a colt a springer and a pt1911. if i had to choose just one probably the colt just because it is a colt. but if i had to go purchase only one it would be the pt1911, I actually prefer it over the colt to shoot and carry.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If you like cheap small parts, safety fitting issues, and a worthless hammer lock that has turned some guns into single shots.

Colt, Sig, RIA, STI, Springfield, Baer, Wilson, Brown would be my choices. What price range you looking at?

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for shooter condition used under $500. Am I dreaming?

You can probably get a used Springfield GI around there as they sell for about $550-$600 new. I don't know if it will run, but that's what it'll cost.

I think for the money, your either better saving it and buying a nicer gun or saving it and buying the cheaper gun and taking it to a smith to get worked over.

If you're just looking for a gun in .45 without the complications of the platform, I personally like my XD 45 compact. Bought it new and now, at maybe ~1,000 rounds I've had not one single malfunction. I bought it because the grip fit me better than Glock or M&P. All three are in your price range and will be infinitely more reliable than a 1911 in your price range.

All that said, I prefer a shotgun for home defense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom