Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's crazy man. Are all the Defender's MIM?

I've lost track of which parts in Colts are MIM nowdays. I believe that Colt uses the least amount of MIM BUT that could have changed.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not your fault. It was natures way of letting me know to never mix MIM and firearms again. Rollin with the EGW billet that Barry installed.

Talked to him today and saw my Full house build that just got back from Chuck Rogers. :w000t: He didn't tell me about this, but he DID say you had a problem with the Grip Safety aswell? and he showed me a Colt I think is yours.

Do you have a pic of that EGW? I almost ordered one for my EMP and they looked kinda bulky, for an EMP anyways.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno if that analogy translates IMHO but YMMV. :D
However, the strange thing is, if Tibbets or Phillips builds you a gun.... he NEVER uses a stock muffler so to speak. Kinda conflicting to me, because If I go on 1911forum right now and ask why a Supergrade or Elite is worth it, Wilson's rep will disagree or explain about the use of bulletproof parts etc Behind the scenes it seems they really don't hold them in high regard though?

Yeah... it may not flow over well... I was watching the season one finally of Bones on Netflix at the same time... so really... I'm not entirely sure what I even typed. :)

Again, I don't see it as a big deal. It's not that they don't hold their parts in high regard, they're actually pretty proud of them. No, they don't use MIM, but again, they're $3000 pistols. A $3000 pistol better have a fitted barrel and slide/frame interface like snot on a door knob. :) But, for a $500 pistol... if the thumb safety broke at 2000 rounds... I really wouldn't be that upset, they're cheap enough.

For me, the slide and frame should be forged (think that's the word I'm looking for)... but a thumb safety isn't a huge worry.

What other parts are usually MIM? Ejector?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to him today and saw my Full house build that just got back from Chuck Rogers. :w000t: He didn't tell me about this, but he DID say you had a problem with the Grip Safety aswell? and he showed me a Colt I think is yours.

Do you have a pic of that EGW? I almost ordered one for my EMP and they looked kinda bulky, for an EMP anyways.

What are you building?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW: Do you know what the Dr. uses for barrels? Trying to decide what to get for this steel challenge gun I'm building.

I got a GREAT deal on receivers. Picked up three Caspian magwell receivers for about $110 each. Also picked up a stainless GOVT slide for $45. :) All brand new, contract over runs. If I'm not mistaken, the slide must have been a Sig slide. The only thing I don't like about it is the external extractor... but for the price... you can't beat it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What other parts are usually MIM? Ejector?

Most ejectors I can think of are machined Bar stock. I know that Taurus had a problem of them shearing lugs in the frame and I believe Olyeller can attest to that. :D

Colt DID go to a MIM extractor for a few years and quickly went back to barstock.

As far as what parts are MIM, it varies it seems from company to company. Too hard for me to keep up with. The only 1911s I own that have MIM are my Springer EMPs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom