Best deal on car battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The batteries at Atwood's usually work well for me; I can't remember if it's their batteries or the Tractor Supply batteries that are made by Exide (I've used both). They're going in tractors used in haying operations, so it's not exactly a battery-friendly environment.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 1982 mustang hatchback that I hauled stupid heavy loads in it I hauled 45 car batteries once and another time 13 sheets of 3/4" plywood.
I would jump it over dirt hills on jeep trails and mud bog it not to mention I delivered Pizza in it.
376,000 miles and the engine and trans were perfect..the body fell apart.

Rough roads and the longest lasting batteries were the cheapest ones I could get.

Seems the more expensive batteries have larger or possibly more plates and those plates extend much lower in the case to get max cranking amps from a certain size battery.
Those expensive ones would last me 6 months and short out or have dead cells.

I think the rough riding the car got would shake the battery apart and the plates may have touched or sulfation built up on the bottom of the case and reached the plates and shorted them.

I do not know. I just know I was hell on batteries until i got the cheap ones.
OH the 1157 bulbs in the tail lights would need replaced about every 4 months. too much vibration or hard landings from Dukes of Hazzard jumps.

All my buddies had 4x4 vehicles I had the inline 6 Mustang. :)

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I was in the auto section in Sears ( that tells you how long ago it was), and this older, black, nicely dressed gentleman, when asked if they could help him, he answered, "I need one of those Hard-On batteries". The clerk did an admirable job of keeping a straight face and helped the man find what he needed.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart for the win. Exact fit for most common vehicles, modest price, 5 year warranty that is tracked by the serial number so you don't even have to keep the receipt.

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate auto-zone, but I've had the best luck with their batteries. I'm not sure why. Had to buy one on a road trip a long time ago and got 10 years out it.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sams Club Duracell battery. Good price, somehtimes they have a $20 off sale, 3 year full free replacement and the batteries are manufactured by East Penn. if you want a cheap battery, try Atwoods. They have good sales on already cheap batteries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom