Best gun cleaning solvents?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert G

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always used 3 in 1 Machine Oil to clean my weapons after fireing. But after reading the info sheets that came with the PK380 I just bought, I may have been doing things wrong? Is it best to use a solvent to clean with followed by the 3 in 1 Oil?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and to answer you question, yes.

When cleaning a firearm, there are several ways you can do it. Remoil is okay, it cleans okay, and is it's own lubricant. However, I'm not happy with it's cleaning effectiveness.

Breakfree CLP is a good one too.

My prefered cleaning method is Hoppes 9, followed by Hoppes Oil or dry moly lube, it just depends on what I'm cleaning.

If you need any cleaning tips, let me know, I'll be glad to help you... just beware, you'll be opening a can of worms! I'm pretty OCD.

:)

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hoppes #9 followed by Break Free for quick cleanings.

I use a product called Krud Kutter for deep cleaning, used to use simple green but it was to slow to cut the old grease.
Follow with good clean water rinse, Dry right away with blow dryer and then grease insides with a lithium compound grease and spray rest of gun down with Break Free.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3 in1 oil is not really a gun oil
I don't know about todays polymers but 25 years ago when they first came out, some oils would swell the frames.
gun oils over the years have been engineered not to react.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some "non" gun oils will actually attract and collect powder residue and dirt. Most gun lubricants are engineered to keep "stuff" from sticking or building up in your gun. While I have 3in1 in the garage, I use it for squeeky office chairs & door hinges not my guns.

I also use Hoppes #9 for cleaning followed by a shot of breakfree and then apply a light coat of Hoppes gun oil on critical parts with a Q tip.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sweets 7.62 for copper removal, Shooters Choice for most other uses. Starrett Tool & Instrument oil, Lubriplate or RIG Universal Gun Grease depending on the application. Starrett Tool & Instrument oil is non-gumming for use on dial indicators, micrometers, calipers and other precision measuring tools. Lubriplate is the stuff that came in those 'grease pots' issued with and M1 Garand or M14, still meets mil-specs. And RIG, I learned to use it on metal after it came out of the water displacing oil after bluing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom