Best gun cleaning solvents?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing what 3 in 1 oil does after a just little while in motor bearings I wouldn't even own a can. It dryes out and turns gummy, gun oil is mostly mineral oil and won't turn gummy.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remoil is TERRIBLE stuff.

3 in 1 oil isn't the stuff to use on guns.

Hoppes #9 is OK but WAY too slow.

What you guys need to try is Prolix for cleaning all metal parts of the gun and as the last coat in a barrel after cleaning. It's not really a copper remover but is good for powder residue and will decrease copper fouling. Unlike oily stuff, with Prolix, it's OK to leave it in the bore after cleaning and to shoot the gun with no further ado. If won't change the point of impact like oils will do. Microlon Gun Juice is just as good but quite a bit more expensive.

For removing copper fouling, go with Shooters Choice, Butch's Bore Shine or Wipe Out (my favorite). Barnes make a copper removing product that works well but I use Wipe Out the most.

Robert G

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many, many thanks to you all. The use of 3 in 1 motor oil was a substance that as a kid was used by my grandfather to clean rifles and shotguns. Looking back on it now maybe it was all he could afford to keep on hand? Anyway you all made points that was what caused me to start reconsidering its use. Since this is one of only a few brand new out of the box pistols I ever owned I have only cleaned it three times so far. Hopefully tonight I will take the time to break it down and strip off what has accumulated. My other firearms will take much more work I'm afraid because of years of using 3 and 1. Again, thank you all very much for your time in explaining WHY this was not the way to clean a weapon properly.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used Ballistol for the first time today after we got back from the range. Check youtube out and you'll find plenty of opinions on it, mostly good. I'm satisfied. After I use it as a solvent I lube with Hoppes.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One last question on this dead horse. I was told on another handgun forum that GOOP was good for stripping away the 3 in 1 oil build up? Any comments?

Man you seem to find some interesting stuff to put into your firearms. I have never heard of GOOP used as a gun cleaner.

Just a healthy dose of Hoppe's #9 and a brass brush or even some of that Gun Scrubber if you want to use an aerosol will remove most or all of the accumulated stuff.

Follow up with a little (emphasize little) amount of a good quality gun oil like Hoppe’s. I use a Q tip to lube the exposed contact surfaces in my guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom