Best gun cleaning solvents?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scoff it you want but the best cleaner for really gummed up parts is berryman B12 carb cleaner,way more product and wont streak.Cost is far less as well.Followed by a quality oil.:yikes2:

Smokey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using http://supr erquickcleanguns.com/ for a couple of years. Fast and most importantly smells good( the wife doesn't run me out of the house when cleaning. They are usually at Wanenmacher's and will clean the outside as a demo. It doesn't lube is the only drawback that I have.

Robert G

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your right I've heard of some "strange" substances as well as methods for cleaning a firearm. But I have only used 3 in 1 machine oil over the years, which after reading all your replies I see that was pretty bad on its own. Live and learn. Thank you all for the information. I ordered a Hoope's gun cleaning kit yesterday from Waltham.
Man you seem to find some interesting stuff to put into your firearms. I have never heard of GOOP used as a gun cleaner.

Just a healthy dose of Hoppe's #9 and a brass brush or even some of that Gun Scrubber if you want to use an aerosol will remove most or all of the accumulated stuff.

Follow up with a little (emphasize little) amount of a good quality gun oil like Hoppe’s. I use a Q tip to lube the exposed contact surfaces in my guns.

6shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#9 - Grandpa used it, my Dad used it, and I use it. Been around a long time. Lots of short cut ways (sprays) but nothing beats a good bore brush and #9.
Just my 2 cents................

Gbart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bore brush #9 or similar solvent, dry patches then a bit of oil, CLP, or powder blaster then a coat of CLP, then a couple drops of hoppes oil in the lube points.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine was in the military and he has told me that on some of their machine guns they would just start dumping motor oil in them to keep em going during sustained fire, dont know if it's true though he kind of liked tall tales in high school.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use #9 also followed by a wipe down with their oil towelettes or silicone cloth...Last night when I was cleaning the 686 with the Hoppes my wife asked if the fumes from it were toxic. Don't know I said, which she replied it sure is strong in here even with the fan on...Never thought about it..Whats the word on Hoppes #9 and others? Toxic?

Latest posts

Top Bottom